Why (in my opinion) buffbots are wrong...

General 'Hibernian' forum for the entire cluster
Gandelf

Why (in my opinion) buffbots are wrong...

Post by Gandelf »

Firstly, I fully expect this post to get a certain amount of flame (probably by those players who run more than account to have buffbots).

Having started playing on the Glastonbury server, I've come across a situation that I've not experienced before... that is, not being able to log on because the server is full.

I can appreciate that I have to wait my turn, but at the back of my mind I cannot help thinking that perhaps ther are probably 100+ players with multiple accounts who have 2 or 3 of their characters logged on at the same time and using them only as buffbots. If it was not for these players (who some would call "selfish"), having their buffbots logged on, then players like myself who only have one account would probably be able to log on.

I can appreciate that some households may have more than one account, and that several members of those households may be playing simultaneously, but I personally thing it is wrong for the same person to have several characters logged onto the same server at the same time, especially on servers that get full. Such people are just being greedy and denying other players without buffbots from playing at all.

Elrandhir

Post by Elrandhir »

Imo if you pay for several accounts and want to use them, why not?
should you just have them Idle and still pay the acc, I think that if you pay for several accs and want to use them online yo should, to bad if all can't get in, but hes paying for being onlinewith that amount of chars so.. and sometimes I guess it will still be he who wont be able to log on some accs because of the full server.

No greed imo, he/she is paying for it and should be able to use it.

VegetaFH1
Emerald Rider

Post by VegetaFH1 »

Ok, opinion time
IMHO, firstly, if there were no buffbots, then the servers woodnt be full, ok.. thats understandable an a fair point, but i also agree that if ur paying for the account, why not use it.. i mean its there to be used after all

secondly, if there were no bots at all, then there woodnt be a need for em... ill explain, the main reason ppl get buffbots an what not is becuase they cant get in groups right, an there isnt enough groups goin round.. an as the point before was that ppl are greedy... ill say this, PPL ARE GREEDY, when ur in a group with ur bot an ur leveling him/her.../it, then ur not gonna allow others to join cus to dimes the xp right, but.. if there were no buffbots then others woodnt need to make other buffbots an so on an so on

The bottom line is... Who the hell was the first person to ever make a BOT?? id like to hurt him (jokingly ofc)

Ofc this is coming from a person that actually HAS 2 accounts... but in all fairness.. im rooting for the other team this time.. cus its unfair in general for other players having to make another account JUST to be in a group an make them feel something for the game... if there were no buffbots.. there wood be no need for em cus u wood have lots of social stuff goin on u woodnt be ABLE to keep up with it all

so..basicly, both points before are perfectly valid, an both points take the view from a differant angle so, its really down to the person themself if they want to stop there bots u know, we cant change there minds for em

Veg Out
ImageImage
ImageImage

Satyn
Emerald Rider

Post by Satyn »

nag nag nag its christmas ppl :)
Fallen Spirits GM
Obscurum GM
E&E
satyn1:

Lairiodd
Emerald Rider

Post by Lairiodd »

Tbh, its like going into a pub and complaining that other people who are there are selfish because they are causing the pub to be packed and if they didn't go you would get better service. However, they are the reason that the pub was actually be built in the first place. If they didn't go then there would be no pub and you wouldn't get any service.

Cut to daoc, if less people used buffbots then there would be less people using daoc and maybe there would not be 3 classic servers but only 2 or something. In which case, you would still have problems logging on. Fundamentally, the problem is that the number of classic servers was selected to cover long duration populations on the server rather than the initial peek and that already takes buffbots into account.
Prydwen
Lairiodd Level 50 Nightshade and Legendary Grandmaster Smith (1065) check prices here
Lairirian Level 50 Mana Mentalist and Legendary Spellcrafter (TDD)
Lairgreybark Level 50 Arb Animist
Lairmindlock Level 50 Bard (TDD)
Camlann
Lairthall Level 35+ Friar

Stocking one 99% of most of the useful spellcrafting gems at Houses 3304 and 3306

Over 150 gems at 99% stocked

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

Gandelf wrote:Firstly, I fully expect this post to get a certain amount of flame (probably by those players who run more than account to have buffbots).

Having started playing on the Glastonbury server, I've come across a situation that I've not experienced before... that is, not being able to log on because the server is full.

I can appreciate that I have to wait my turn, but at the back of my mind I cannot help thinking that perhaps ther are probably 100+ players with multiple accounts who have 2 or 3 of their characters logged on at the same time and using them only as buffbots. If it was not for these players (who some would call "selfish"), having their buffbots logged on, then players like myself who only have one account would probably be able to log on.

I can appreciate that some households may have more than one account, and that several members of those households may be playing simultaneously, but I personally thing it is wrong for the same person to have several characters logged onto the same server at the same time, especially on servers that get full. Such people are just being greedy and denying other players without buffbots from playing at all.
They're being no less greedy than you expecting them to adhere to your views of how people should play. They're not doing anything the rules say they can't and they do have to pay for the space, that is they have to pay the monthly subs for the bot account just like a real player.
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

Lieva
Emerald Rider

Post by Lieva »

Lairiodd wrote:Tbh, its like going into a pub and complaining that other people who are there are selfish because they are causing the pub to be packed and if they didn't go you would get better service.

nah think its more like going into a pub and peeps have camped the bar so no one else can actually get a drink :p

(think tasars should be lawful in those cercumstances :p)
Lievaordiea x Eldritch
Peonchants x Enchanter
Hibernia

Lieva
Emerald Rider

Post by Lieva »

I kinda agree with gandelf but tbh i cant see why buff bots shouldnt be allowed on the server. yea it makes less peeps able to play which sux (i.e server of 3600 and only 1800 being able to play cuz they all have BB :p ) *BUT* glastonbury has that lovely buff range thing so even if they do have a BB you can still kill em happily ;) Doesnt work in the Bgs i spect nor in towers and such but out field RvR such as agramon - should make it more nicer ;) so mildly balances itself out ;p

then again its 2:40am christmas morning and prolly talking rubbish :)

MERRY CHRISTMAS PEEPS :D
Lievaordiea x Eldritch
Peonchants x Enchanter
Hibernia

OohhoO

Post by OohhoO »

I very nearly flamed here, & it takes a lot to get me to flame. Not even worth presenting counter-arguements IMO. Nuff said.
-
Paddock - L60 Male Man Hunter - SM Tailor
Moegren - L53 Male Man Captain - SM Weaponsmith GM Woodworker
Paddreth - L60 Male Man Minstrel - SM Jeweller GM Cook
Skyros - L57 Male Man Loremaster - SM Scholar GM Farmer
Pauncho - L60 Male Hobbit Burglar - SM Armoursmith
-

Gandelf

Post by Gandelf »

Lairiodd wrote:Tbh, its like going into a pub and complaining that other people who are there are selfish because they are causing the pub to be packed and if they didn't go you would get better service.

But, that doesn't really count, because each person in the pub is a separate individual. There are no "buffbots" of other people in the pub taking up space.

With buffbots, it's just one person running several accounts on the same server simultaneously. That one person is taking up, say 3 spaces on the server and therefore possibly denying 2 other people with single accounts from logging on... which is inconsiderate.

Using a similar analogy to the pub scenario. If you got on a bus and there were two seats remaining, but someone had put their shopping bags on them, you would be annoyed. You've bought a ticket, but you can't sit down because of that inconsiderate person.

That's how it is with buffbots on overpopulated servers.

I'm not saying buffbots are totally wrong, if you're on an underpopulated server, like Prydwen is atm, then buffbots won't be denying anyone a space.

Also, if a server is reaching its capacity, then one might ask why it should be necessary for anyone to have their BBs logged. Surely there should be enough people without BBs logged on for you to find a group with players who will gladly buff you?

Return to “Hibernian Cluster Discussion”