Daoc is gonna die?

General 'Hibernian' forum for the entire cluster
Fifta
Emerald Rider

Post by Fifta »

Daoc is not dying, daoc is already dead.
Foir, Beigarth, Zorm, Candor, Koboldvakten, Skogbotten
<Crimson Tears>

Jupiler
Emerald Rider

Post by Jupiler »

Argyleyn wrote:If daoc dies, where will all our characters go and what will happen to Mag Mell and Tir Na Nog? After all those years, it feels as if the place really existed at some point. It's weird to think that one day they will pull the plug and everything will go 'puff' and all the places you visited will no longer be. It would be nice to have a final event if the servers ever closed, even if i doubt this will ever happen.
the final battle of ragnarok
&quot wrote:After playing zupiler and repeatedly getting beat by him (bastard)

Lieva
Emerald Rider

Post by Lieva »

ragnarok would be midguard but what about hib and albion..
Lievaordiea x Eldritch
Peonchants x Enchanter
Hibernia

gene
Emerald Rider

Post by gene »

imo daoc die in next year or so, too many things they have screwed up
Ame says:
as I was saying, bards are only really useful the first 10 seconds of the fight ;x

Grymligast
Emerald Rider

Post by Grymligast »

Argyleyn wrote:If daoc dies, where will all our characters go and what will happen to Mag Mell and Tir Na Nog? After all those years, it feels as if the place really existed at some point. It's weird to think that one day they will pull the plug and everything will go 'puff' and all the places you visited will no longer be. It would be nice to have a final event if the servers ever closed, even if i doubt this will ever happen.

Btw, is UO still alive or they pulled the plug?

edit: Ok, i found UO is alive but they have made some samurai and ninja expansions, i would rather see a game i play die before it turns from a western europe fantasy setting to double dragon extreme and see ninja elves around me! Why not put zulu warriors next to Lord British as well, doesn't sound too far off, does it?!
They will never "pull the plug". Only thing that will happen is that they will stop doing patches for the game and the monthly fee will dissapear(Anarchy Online for example).

Support for the game etc will dissapear but aslong as there are any players left the servers will remain.

Argyleyn
Emerald Rider

Post by Argyleyn »

I think they did pull the plug at one of the Asheron's call games and some other less known mmorpgs, so it is something that might happen eventually.

I can see what you are saying though, even if i don't understand why they would cut the monthly fee alltogether, maintenance of the server still has its expenses.
Argyleyn, ex raven ardent prime prestidigitist.

Sharkith

Post by Sharkith »

Argyleyn wrote: I can see what you are saying though, even if i don't understand why they would cut the monthly fee alltogether, maintenance of the server still has its expenses.
woot GOA maintain the servers - do you think they know that? :p
Na Fianna Dragun

Karak-Eight Peaks, Kiera ze Witch Hunter

Eve online - Kaminjosvig.

Lieva
Emerald Rider

Post by Lieva »

Sharkith wrote:woot GOA maintain the servers - do you think they know that? :p
<passes shark a saucer of milk>
Lievaordiea x Eldritch
Peonchants x Enchanter
Hibernia

judas
Emerald Rider

Post by judas »

giv rps for killing mobs at lvl50 up to rr5 imo.
Ultraviolence.
refers to acts of extreme violence
seemingly performed at random,
or with no clear justification

Cernos
Emerald Rider

Post by Cernos »

Grymligast wrote:They will never "pull the plug". Only thing that will happen is that they will stop doing patches for the game and the monthly fee will dissapear(Anarchy Online for example).

Support for the game etc will dissapear but aslong as there are any players left the servers will remain.
Servers cost money to run and maintain. Without any revenue from monthly subscriptions Mythic won't keep the servers running indefinitely. Yes they might for a period of time as a goodwill gesture (especially if DAOC 2 or Warhammer is doing well and they have lots of income) but eventually the plug will be pulled.

There is another possibility, that Mythic might release the game and code into the public domain, so that players could run their own DAOC servers. But the complexities (legal and technical) of anyone doing so will probably prevent this.

Return to “Hibernian Cluster Discussion”