Plat/PLing for cash... Can it be stopped?

General 'Hibernian' forum for the entire cluster
Heta
Emerald Rider

Post by Heta »

isnt Requil ginger?
Woho! I got a 360 \o/

Requiel

Post by Requiel »

Arcsalin wrote:
Requiel wrote: If you couldn't get a template unless you played 24 hours a day for five days straight, that would be wrong and would make the game inaccessible to anyone who worked for a living. Happily that's not the case.

Well, that was not exactly true here what you say in the end. I am not trying to have a go at you because you are not a Dev. As has been mentioned before about poor game design, Trials of Atlantis in its original state required quite alot longer than 120 hours of game play to get that template. I had no BB and I am unemployed and was playing most of the day, it took me months to get my template - purely because the design of the game gave those with BB's advantage in PvE. It was just far too much regulation on that expansion and ultimately turned the community against each other due to the obvious unfairness of the expansion.
What I meant was 'if the game required you to play 24 hours a day for five days without stopping to get a template....'

Arcsalin wrote:On Req's note about MMO's and community, during the beta test of DDO earlier this year, the game design was purely based on grouping. Ok, the class system was different in the PvE and thus made all classes relevant to grouping because of the game design. However there was a massive cry for solo content mainly because grouping in an MMORPG is not always viable due to having the right type of classes/people on at the same time - dynamic of game play is an important issue here. Codemasters caved in and now there is quite a bit of Dungeons and Dragons online that has solo content. :)
Solo content is good, giving people things they can do when ther friends aren't there is required, having encounters that absolutely need certain combnations of classes and abilities to combat is generally bad as it's restrictive and cuts out players who don't have one of the 'needed' classes from experiencing it. Most things should be doable by a balanced force with different tactics depending on the exact composition. That doesn't mean that any group should be able to do an encounter but if the players have a minimum level of healing, CC and damage, it shouldn't matter what the precise composition is.

Takit, I'm not entirely sure what your point is. I'm not talking about sales figures or distributed numbers, I'm talking about people on the server at any given time. I don't need to ask the marketing department how many people are playing sub level 40 toons right now, I can see it for myself. Likewise when I get Rightnow messages from a player and I see their account is full of low level or very low realm rank characters, I can see what the vast majority of players are doing with their time.
I wouldn't class you as a casual player regardless of the time you spend in game. You have a wide-ranging netowrk of peopel who will help you, you are well known and have high level crafters, high RR characters and can either farm or get help to farm most of the items you'd need if you suddenly decided to completely retemplate a character. The players I'm talking about don't have that network, they mostly play in duos or small groups with real life friends or relatives at pre-arranged times. They are often in 3 man guilds or are simply unguilded, they play at odd times because it's when their friends are available to play with them and they usually play only one session a week. There are no official stats or empirical evidence to back this up, this is my experience of working with the community at all levels.

Takitothemacs
Emerald Rider

Post by Takitothemacs »

Requiel wrote:I wouldn't class you as a casual player regardless of the time you spend in game. You have a wide-ranging netowrk of peopel who will help you, you are well known and have high level crafters, high RR characters and can either farm or get help to farm most of the items you'd need if you suddenly decided to completely retemplate a character.
In which case I suggest you recheck your data...

I have one RR7 character.
I have one RR4 character.
All remaining of my hib/pryd toons are RR3 or lower.

The highest level crafter I have is about 400 on my hero... I wouldnt consider that a high level crafter and next highest is my shade on about 120

If you try to make a point you should realy ensure that you have your facts straight. But I'll say no more on this topic for fear of being accused of making you disappear again. Fair play that you managed to return to the lions den. <salute>
Hib Pryd/Excal Retired
Littlefirby Lv51 ML9 CL10 Lurishade Thunderer

Mid Avalon - Retired
Cartilage - Lv 50 Bonedancer
Tigerstripe - LV50 Mauler
Xanidiu - Shammy BB

Requiel

Post by Requiel »

Takitothemacs wrote:In which case I suggest you recheck your data...

I have one RR7 character.
I have one RR4 character.
All remaining of my hib/pryd toons are RR3 or lower.

The highest level crafter I have is about 400 on my hero... I wouldnt consider that a high level crafter and next highest is my shade on about 120

If you try to make a point you should realy ensure that you have your facts straight. But I'll say no more on this topic for fear of being accused of making you disappear again. Fair play that you managed to return to the lions den. <salute>
RR7 is high realm rank by the standards of everyone but the RvR hardcore. Fair enough on the crafters, I thought I remembered you having several LGMs, seems I confused you with someone else.

Alexandrinus
Emerald Rider

Post by Alexandrinus »

every normal daoc player can bring a toon to RR7 without much of a problem,with playing 2 times a week 4-5 hours

Arkaon / Karak-Norn
and plenty of other chars between 10 and 30

Takitothemacs
Emerald Rider

Post by Takitothemacs »

Alexandrinus wrote:every normal daoc player can bring a toon to RR7 without much of a problem,with playing 2 times a week 4-5 hours
lol thanks alex... you just devalued my rr7 shade that has taken over 3 years to get to rr7 ;) :D
Hib Pryd/Excal Retired
Littlefirby Lv51 ML9 CL10 Lurishade Thunderer

Mid Avalon - Retired
Cartilage - Lv 50 Bonedancer
Tigerstripe - LV50 Mauler
Xanidiu - Shammy BB

Gahn

Post by Gahn »

Alexandrinus wrote:every normal daoc player can bring a toon to RR7 without much of a problem,with playing 2 times a week 4-5 hours
Uhm with some dedication and a ton of patience; and if u don't zerg like a mofo it'll take MORE time than that ^^
Gahn LoneWolf Celt Seraph Tiarna Prydwen
Na Fianna Dragun
Gahn Lonewolf Guardian [TDA] on Gunnar's Hold

Alexandrinus
Emerald Rider

Post by Alexandrinus »

when i look at the numbers its easy to see,to bring my Bm to level 50 i needed 24 days,to bring my VW to lvl 50 5days.
After 24 days of playing my VW was totally templated and RR4.

I play my VW now exactly 390 days or so and have 32 days played on it,32x24=768hours / 390 =1,97*7 days=13,8 hours a week wich would be 6-7 hours 2 times a week.

And how long does this game exists now?

Its a factor do i want to make something out of my char or not?

Arkaon / Karak-Norn

Gahn

Post by Gahn »

Alexandrinus wrote:when i look at the numbers its easy to see,to bring my Bm to level 50 i needed 24 days,to bring my VW to lvl 50 5days.
After 24 days of playing my VW was totally templated and RR4.

I play my VW now exactly 390 days or so and have 32 days played on it,32x24=768hours / 390 =1,97*7 days=13,8 hours a week wich would be 6-7 hours 2 times a week.

And how long does this game exists now?

Its a factor do i want to make something out of my char or not?
U forgot to mention u already had an rr7 toon ofc, so the learning curve in rvr was way easier 2nd time round tho 8)
Also your maths are a bit flawed cause u needed 5 days (in game) to get him to 50.
I bet an hardcore player can get to rr7 in 1 month irl -.-
Also 13.8 hours per week of playing aren't exactly few xD

So Alex, basically, u suck ahahahahah ^^
Gahn LoneWolf Celt Seraph Tiarna Prydwen
Na Fianna Dragun
Gahn Lonewolf Guardian [TDA] on Gunnar's Hold

Alexandrinus
Emerald Rider

Post by Alexandrinus »

peeps dont understand how to learn RVR,you cannot rvr if you play crap solo....wich means not that if you play good solo you also play good in group RVR.
From the solo play you get the instinct/fast reaction/knowledge of the terrain.
I can run nearly every part of NF without getting any aggro from mobs, i know the supply lines even im no stealther i played the ambush game.

With RR5 i had +300 solo kills as a visibil char,if i dont had and average rps between 5-6 k per hour i wasnt happy,but the way to make the 8-15 k/rps per hour is to play in a proper group.

You cannot go to a group and aske hi can i play with you and have a RR4 char wich you havent mastered, they will play once or twice with you and then know you cannot bring something also to their group.

So if you mastered your char,and know how to play its not so hard to get to a decent RR, and this also with a non fotm char.

Arkaon / Karak-Norn

Return to “Hibernian Cluster Discussion”