EA buys into Mythic..

General 'Hibernian' forum for the entire cluster
Sharkith

Post by Sharkith »

Xest wrote:Of course it's not exactly slave labour, but the working practices that EA enforces are illegal and they have been taken to court over it on a few occasions. It's really no better than companies using child labour and such in 3rd world nations - that's not something that should be supported. Note that EA will often push developers to work almost twice as long as the legal maximum European working hour week, are you suggesting that's not something to be bothered or concerned about? Those limits exist for a reason.
Xest,

I am in no way condoning what EA do in fact I find it repugnant.

This however does not equate to ownership of persons because they are considered not to be human. Not only that equating what they are doing to the historical fact of slavery in some circles would be found deeply offensive. I think it makes more sense to call this what it is rather than confusing the issue by making reference to the historical fact of slavery.

What is more significant from the discussion is whether or not we find it personally ethical to actually play games that have been produced through such exploitation. Thats an infinitely more difficult question. If it is so repugnant why don't we quit our dues to Mythic for a set period in protest, or are we just going to admit that when it comes to these things we do not in fact give a shit?

That is what is difficult about this.

Sharkith
Na Fianna Dragun

Karak-Eight Peaks, Kiera ze Witch Hunter

Eve online - Kaminjosvig.

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

Piracy is the ultimate solution imo. Means you get to play the game without funding the evil practices behind it! Doesn't work for MMOs tho unfortunately :p

Can I say piracy? is that offensive to some circles too? Perhaps I should've said intellectual property theft :p
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

Sharkith

Post by Sharkith »

whether people are offended or not is a sideshow, whats harder is when we bring up objections like that and then have to consaider the consequences of buying into and sponsoring them.
Na Fianna Dragun

Karak-Eight Peaks, Kiera ze Witch Hunter

Eve online - Kaminjosvig.

Bebop
Emerald Rider

Post by Bebop »

Xest wrote:Can I say piracy? is that offensive to some circles too? Perhaps I should've said intellectual property theft :p
Nah, just use the term..

Bye now, Pay never :)
Prydwen RETIRED..Might be comming back!
Hib
Bebop
Boppa
Bopper
Bops
Furse
Mid
Bebop
Latona
Bopps
Boppa

US
Bpm - RM
Eternul - BD
Tequila - Healer

Bartokaj
Emerald Rider

Post by Bartokaj »

Well imo Mystic killed DAoC (ToA .. christ!!) them self, lets hope they will reinvent RVR in Warhammer like in DAoC (SI patch)..

Gahn

Post by Gahn »

[quote="Cromcruaich"]ofc. ]

No way EA bought Mythic for the income of Daoc mate lol; they bought it to invest on War and try to compete with Blizzard in the MMO market.
Gahn LoneWolf Celt Seraph Tiarna Prydwen
Na Fianna Dragun
Gahn Lonewolf Guardian [TDA] on Gunnar's Hold

Gahn

Post by Gahn »

Trez wrote:Alex remember that Mythic dont get subs from EU where the numbers are as you say, but from the US subs, and they got a bigger crowd of regular player base/day.

So it is a cash cow for Mythic, maybe not a big one, but still enough to get EA interested.
Err actually EU got a larger playerbase than US from some time tbh.
Gahn LoneWolf Celt Seraph Tiarna Prydwen
Na Fianna Dragun
Gahn Lonewolf Guardian [TDA] on Gunnar's Hold

Cromcruaich

Post by Cromcruaich »

They'll suck the milk from that cash cow 'till it's a bull, then they'll suck some more.
Crom, Druid of Na Fianna Dragun

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire...the A(nimist)-Team

Cue music for full effect.

Thanks to Tuthmes for the link.

Ovi
Emerald Rider

Post by Ovi »

Cromcruaich wrote:They'll suck the milk from that cash cow 'till it's a bull, then they'll suck some more.

It's already a bull that's been sucked some more!

I suspect that the deal cost EA more than they will ever make from the life left in DAoC.

Once WAR is released I give DAoC 6 months Max, before the servers are turned off.

I always expected WAR to be the final nail in the coffin for DAoC, EA will be the hammer to nail it in as fast as possible.

Grymligast
Emerald Rider

Post by Grymligast »

Ovi wrote:It's already a bull that's been sucked some more!

I suspect that the deal cost EA more than they will ever make from the life left in DAoC.

Once WAR is released I give DAoC 6 months Max, before the servers are turned off.

I always expected WAR to be the final nail in the coffin for DAoC, EA will be the hammer to nail it in as fast as possible.
I don´t think it will be closed down. I do however think we will not see any expansions nor any real patches after W.A.R is released.

Will have 1 person to keep an eye on daoc and fix a thing here and there and nothing more.
Grymligast RR9l0 SB Shelved
Mirani RR5l3 Valkyrie In progress
+30 or so more chars.

Return to “Hibernian Cluster Discussion”