Classic Servers?

General 'Hibernian' forum for the entire cluster
Chenata
Emerald Rider

Post by Chenata »

OohhoO wrote: Pre-NF zerg-MG-camping was a problem, but at least RvR was relatively organised, at least where I played. Now it just seems to have degenerated into an ML/RA-dumping tower-humping free-for-all.
OohhoO true true !

i say, bring back old fronteers and keep toa. Dont mind artifacts i mind the endless bridge fights and boat trips to other realms to fight for 10min or run for 2h in lack of people out in that realm frontreer. Worst thing about NF is speedwarp why even give classes speed ? give the speedwarp a 50sec timer so you just cast it if you REALY have to not just drop it like its hot. :lemony:

Killder
Emerald Rider

Post by Killder »

If patches and expansions were not part of the games development I feel it would have died a death years ago.

OK, so TOA is a timesink but not everyone wants to RvR 100% of their time in cookie-cutter templates.

Shike

Post by Shike »

HappyG wrote:Yes Shike, but main excuse people have when they go on classic is "there is no boring ToA stuff to do". Since there are no (or hardly any) new players in DAoC, we can assume most of those who move with that excuse already have characters with some artis, some MLs, some money, and so on...
I dunno about the mainexcuse, and I really dont care either, I only speak from my own point of view :)

I got a couple of toons with good gear, solid realmranks that performs well in RvR, and I still choose to play on classic ruleset now simply because thats the closest I can get to a period in DAoC that was the best one I've experienced. Quite simple really :)
~o~
Shikei, Temples, Shike, Imidyr and Shiko
<Ascending Dawn>
~o~

Shike

Post by Shike »

pikeh wrote:Dont get me wrong, ToA had its major down points, the time required to effectively compete in RvR practically pushed casual players out of the window (and some hardcore players). Artifacts in my opinion, took far too long to level, and scroll drops should have been like they are now all along. What im saying is, people shouldnt expect to take it easy, and have to do no work for their characters. Before ToA, there were some items that practically HAD to be used in a template, meaning character recognition and individuality was something you could only really achieve by dye colours and RA's :) ToA bought out complete different playstyles for each person to use.
The highlighted is so true, and is a large reason I started to hate TOA aswell, it was a really stupid move of Mythic, to make the weaker even weaker isnt too bright :) (by weaker I mean players that do not have a significant time to invest in the game, if their maingoal is to RvR)

Regarding individuality..

A large portion of stealthers use either LW's or malice/battler/CTD.

The standard for light tanks is malice/battler or similar setup.

For casters Traldors is standard.

GoV is videly used by most classes.

etc...

I fail to see the individuality here mate :)
~o~
Shikei, Temples, Shike, Imidyr and Shiko
<Ascending Dawn>
~o~

Cernos
Emerald Rider

Post by Cernos »

TOA was Mythic's biggest ever lie because at launch it was billed as primarily a PvE expansion that would have minimal impact on RvR. To quote Matt Firor, Master Levels would make characters "more well-rounded but not necessarily strictly more powerful". Yeah right, tell that to someone as they get Zephyr'd across the battlefield, or Grappled to oblivion, DOT mined etc etc etc.

There's no denying that some of the PvE in the TOA zones is challenging and fun. What many players objected to was the near compulsory time sink to gain Master Levels, Artifacts, Scrolls and items with TOA Bonuses just to remain competitive in RvR. If you only ever played one character TOA could be bearable. But if you enjoy alts, well TOA essentially killed that off as an option - unless you are willing to TOA every alt, then they're only viable in the lower battlegrounds.

The fundamental mistake that Mythic made with TOA was using Master Level abilities (and to a certain extent some artifacts) as a method of attempting to correct certain class imbalances and/or flaws. Things like Bodyguard, FoP, Cure Nearsight, Group Cure Disease, Brittle Guard et al are all very nice but should have been made available to all relevant classes as either core abilities or realm abilities, rather than only to those who have done the MLs.

The Classic server model looks interesting. I've got a [closed] US account and I'm almost tempted, but the somewhat shaky future of DAOC puts me off sinking any more time into the game.

Kari
Emerald Rider

Post by Kari »

Radu wrote:OK i am a newb. I dont have much problem with ToA, but. The scroll drop rate is a major timesink, it is obvious it made for only one reason, to slow down the character progress, same truth for the artifact exping too.
ToA pve is trivial and easy, drop rates and slow spawn rate which is the choke point.
Anyway, i should made artifacts (the not activateds) as not tradeable, so farmers wont kill arti mobs all the time.
Read his post again, for Radu speaks the truth.

Heta
Emerald Rider

Post by Heta »

then I agree with Shike, cause he speak the truth!
Woho! I got a 360 \o/

Nedo
Emerald Rider

Post by Nedo »

Kari wrote:Read his post again, for Radu speaks the truth.
Wtf you awake and not dwunk? :eek:

Like this one better then the pooooooop smilie on FoPW board? :treeebear

As for original subject. Allways people with sick amounts of time to put into game that find TOA good...

Kari
Emerald Rider

Post by Kari »

Nedo wrote:Wtf you awake and not dwunk? :eek:
Unfortunately :/
Nedo wrote:Like this one better then the pooooooop smilie on FoPW board? :treeebear
Na, horse poop is more appropriate for us lot :P
Nedo wrote:As for original subject. Allways people with sick amounts of time to put into game that find TOA good...
Aye true. Dont get me wrong, I like ToA as a concept. I just think the implementation went too far as a time sink, even for mmorpg standards. Combine that with the minimal amount of "ToA stuff" you can do whilst actually levelling (in real terms, not a great amount - and yes i know someone is the exception to every rule & was ml10 & fully ToA'd by level 41, but I'm talking about normal players, not psychopaths) and it's a double levelling curve which puts people off.

Anyway... what were we talking about? Oh aye, if GoA open a non-ToA server, I'll be heading that way. I can't speak for the longevity of it all, but I'll be giving it a good go.

pikeh
Emerald Rider

Post by pikeh »

Shike wrote:
Regarding individuality..

A large portion of stealthers use either LW's or malice/battler/CTD.

The standard for light tanks is malice/battler or similar setup.

For casters Traldors is standard.

GoV is videly used by most classes.

etc...

I fail to see the individuality here mate :)

well, at least people have the OPTION now to choose different weapons and armour. Before it was all crafted, maybe BMF or galla armour in a few templates, but with some all day galla raids i fail to see how casual players could get some of those items. The jewelry was all epic stuff or Si quested. So yeh, there is the option to be a lot more individual nowadays.
Piikeh/SH/r40/rr4X
<White Rose>
R.I.P Severance

Return to “Hibernian Cluster Discussion”