Latest Hi-Res Screenshots—LotRO

General discussion of other games, especially upcoming MMORPG's.
<ankh>
Emerald Rider

Post by <ankh> »

You know what I ment mate, problem imo is that everyone will try to recreate their own LoTR so it might get abit too messy.

Anyone tried or heard comments about the beta of this one? Would be nice to see some feedback.

/Ankh

Lieva
Emerald Rider

Post by Lieva »

i like the idea that if you get a quest where a town gets attacked - you are saved to that village. and when ever you go to that village - you see it distroyed :)

love continuation crud like that ^^
Lievaordiea x Eldritch
Peonchants x Enchanter
Hibernia

Gandelf

Post by Gandelf »

What you have to bear in mind is that players won't actually be taking the place of the characters in LotR. There will only be one Gandalf, one Frodo, one Aragorn etc, and these will be NPCs. Players will be able to perform quests to help these legendary figures out, but they won't take the place of them, or replace them in what they have to do, i.e. you cannot become Frodo and carry the One Ring etc.

Also, the types of classes players can choose from will be strictly limited to classes that there are a lot of in LotR. E.g. players cannot become wizards, because in LotR, they are very few and far between, but they can become hunters and fighters etc.

The other thing is that the game will be very much a different interpretation of the LotR, than the films, fan art etc. were. Some players will probably be expecting the graphics to be like those in the recent films and may well be disappointed when they aren't. What we have to remember is that the original LotR was simply just printed letters on white paper, i.e. a book. You know yourself, if you read the book before the films came out that you formed your own images in your mind and how exciting it was. The thing is, now that we've seen the films, even those who read the book previously inevitably incorporate the images from the films when the book is re-read... that's certainly true for me!

With the game, it will open up a new dimension, I think. If you play the game for long enough, the images and adventures will stick in your mind and if you come to read (or re-read) the book, those images will bring the book to life, probably in a stronger way than has ever been possible previously, because you will relate to the places and events that you've experienced in the game. Players will also gain, I feel, a greater spacial awareness of the LotR universe, i.e. where everything is in relation to everything else. You don't really get that from the films and the maps in the books are usually only very basic.

I believe players will enjoy the game, because they're in it. They will really be like the ordinary people who must have existed in the LotR universe. We only read and watch at the cinema the main characters and see the main places. But, players will be the "ordinary folk" who will visit the famous, as well as the little-known places of the LotR. Basically, it will be up to you as an individual and those whom you meet to make the game something special. I think it has the potential to create a great community spirit for those who play it, something like the Prydwen spirit.

I eagerly await it's release.

<ankh>
Emerald Rider

Post by <ankh> »

Im 100% aware of that Gandelf - but that doesnt change the fact that there will be loads trying to do so still. Or trying to act like brothers/cousins etc etc to every character ever appearing in the lotr books. I don't think this will have much more to impress with than like Warhammer which btw has quite alot of more background than LoTR.

Lieva
Emerald Rider

Post by Lieva »

im curious though

would they be regaled as heros.

Isildur was actually a hero cuz he killed sauron in the first battle but by the time lotr came around it was bad to be even related to him.

wouldnt frodo sam merry and pip be regaled as 'odd' hobbits who just should never have left the shire.
Elronde as a elfking who hung around with humans?

you coukld actually have fun with this ^^
Lievaordiea x Eldritch
Peonchants x Enchanter
Hibernia

Gandelf

Post by Gandelf »

<ankh> wrote:I don't think this will have much more to impress with than like Warhammer which btw has quite alot of more background than LoTR.

I'm not sure what you mean by the statement highlighted in bold type. I can't see how any contemporary work of fiction can possibly have more background to it than LotR. What about all the background that Tolkien created that we find in the Silmarillion, even to the extent of creating a working Elvish language?

I know what you mean about people creating characters though that having similar names to characters in the book, e.g. "Gandelf" **cough**, but that happens with every game (even in rl). We're also bound to see names cropping up that don't even come from the Tolkien universe, e.g. there's bound to be someone named "Kirk" or "Spock" etc.

I think the graphics and the fact that it's LotR will make it appealing enough for most players. The only players who won't like it are those who prefer PvP... there isn't any in LotRO, but there is a possibility I've heard, that this may happen in the future. I only hope there's enough content to keep PvE interesting, that's all, but the fact that it's LotR is enough for me. I think also that the game will be better for the casual player, because they won't feel the need to keep up with everyone else to be competitive in PvP. There will be a lot of mileage, I think, for the casual player.

But we'll see!

<ankh>
Emerald Rider

Post by <ankh> »

I've read all Tolkien books and yes its alot of background materials (but its spread out in different epoks) while Warhammer has lots and lots and lots of material which is all set in the same area and everything is made for people to be able to play it in either the tabletop game or the p&p game. There are also quite a few novels set in the warhammer universe.

* with area I ment world & time.

/Ankh

<ankh>
Emerald Rider

Post by <ankh> »

Don't get me wrong, the middle earth universe is incredible good - but I think warhammer is easier to fit into a computer game.

/Ankh

Genedril
Emerald Rider

Post by Genedril »

With LotR a lot of people have a preconceived view of how the world looks (a mental image they've developed by reading the books). Also, the mental picture of LotR is built from 'major' characters view points (be that Bilbo, Frozodo, Gandalf or Tom) & people will go in with expectations of being like them. (I've deliberately avoided mentioning the films as a. the trashed most of the story from all 3 books & b. it was an exercise in how bit is my CGI budget if you ask me - there's the added dilemma that people who's view of the book wasn't met by the film visuals & those that think the film visuals were the book wanting 'their' visuals in game).

Warhammer has a dictated view of what the world looks like & what happens there which are some of a multitude of reasons that Mythic have had to work with GW consultants while creating it. The entire universe is built from the ground up (the little people or 'low levels') & has a plethora of trivia created to fill in content. Also, unlike Middle Earth, its still being developed & is far from static (as long as the developments fit in with GW's view).

One thing to note about LotR - They may state currently that people will only be 'ordinary' folk. Many people will buy the game not expecting that though. Only time will tell if the hold true to their word or do a 'Sony' (there will only be a couple of Jedis across all servers - honest guvnor!!) under player pressure.

I'm not saying it won’t be a good game. More that because of the views of the Middle Earth canon it'll be harder to keep people interested if they aren't given what they already recognise.

{edit} Did I mean Genetically Modified consultants or Games Workshop Consultants??
Those that can't lead follow.

Those that can lead should admit when they're lost.

<ankh>
Emerald Rider

Post by <ankh> »

Thats pretty much my point of view too apart from the fact that I like the movies (even though they arent really following the books all the time)

/Ankh

Return to “Other Games”