Elite

General discussion of other games, especially upcoming MMORPG's.
<ankh>
Emerald Rider

Elite

Post by <ankh> »

Braben reveals Elite's Future
Friday 17-Nov-2006 12:16 PM Two versions planned, with Elite MMO on the way, but don't hold your breath...

David Braben, co-creator of seminal Eighties space fighting sim Elite has revealed the future of the much-loved franchise to CVG in an exclusive interview earlier this week.

Braben, whose Frontier Developments has just completed Thrillville before moving on to work on next-gen political thriller The Outsider, has told CVG that a modern remake of the classic is still very much in his thoughts and that not one, but two versions of Elite for the Noughties are planned.

However gamers shouldn't be holding their breath as these new Elites will follow after The Outsider has been completed and will indeed depend on some of The Outsider's technology.

Braben told us, "There are two project designs that we've got now. One is a multiplayer game, the other is a single-player, still allowing multiplayer, but not massive multiplayer, which we do plan to do and that will follow on from The Outsider and use some of the technologies that that employs. That's the way they fit together."

Braben continued, "Certainly the first Elite incarnation will be a single player game, that supports multiplayer, but we're not talking thousands, we're talking tens of players."

While an Elite MMO still remains the ultimate dream (coincidentally as we argued for recently in our Bring It Back! feature,) Braben is under no illusions that it will be a simple task: "Although I think it's a long way off, one thing I'm wary of is that it's a very difficult game to provide for well. There will be groups of fans who will be very critical of what happens, that's true of every game really, but it's a lot of work to keep that going for a long time."

Perhaps most interestingly Braben also gave us some insights into the original spec for the game as it was being developed in 2000 and some of the reasons Elite slipped off the radar. "What happened is that we started the Elite sequel back in 2000, and that was structured as a mass multiplayer game. In doing our research and at the planning stage of how all the network infrastructure would work we found the network was nowhere near as sophisticated as people were saying and by that I mean the companies.

"I was very wary that we would be trailblazing and one of the ways we were planning to do it was to put a piece of hardware in every single phone exchange, so it was a much wider plan to achieve the very short ping times that you need to play the game we wanted to do. So we put that essentially on indefinite hold at that point because I knew it wasn't going to work well. And I'd rather not do it, than do something that didn't work well."

Concluding our chat, Braben also revealed that far from seeing the original Elite as a kind of millstone still hanging around his neck, he still had very positive memories of its original development.

"I was very lucky to be part of that when Ian and I did it in the Eighties, it was great fun to have done and from a nostalgia point of view. For me, looking back on it, it was a very very good time. Writing games was quite different then, because to be honest we wrote Elite for ourselves, basically. Yes it was meant to be commercial, but the point is there was none of this 'who will this appeal to?'. It was a case of 'yes it's great, let's do it!' You can make something absolutely spot on in that way, [even] given the constraints that you have."

So it's all around excellent news for Elite fans, but we'll just have to wait for Frontier to complete The Outsider before we can venture forth in a Cobra Mark III all over again.
Source:
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/ar ... 4&skip=yes

Ovi
Emerald Rider

Post by Ovi »

I loved the "original" Spectrum version, and spent hours playing it. It reminded me of a PnP rpg called Traveller (iirc).

I am currently playing Eve-online, which isn't a million miles away from an Elite MMORPG. It is probably the most "realistic" MMORPG in terms of economics and politics.

I am sure that if David Braben & Co draw as much from Eve as Eve drew from Elite then the Elite MMORPG will certainly be something to look forward too :)

I am also looking forward to the single player game, it is a long time since anything has grabbed my attention like the original :)

<ankh>
Emerald Rider

Post by <ankh> »

Traveller/Mega Traveller was adapted to computer too - was great fun to make your chars in it, less fun to play it.

Lairiodd
Emerald Rider

Post by Lairiodd »

"I was very wary that we would be trailblazing and one of the ways we were planning to do it was to put a piece of hardware in every single phone exchange, so it was a much wider plan to achieve the very short ping times that you need to play the game we wanted to do. So we put that essentially on indefinite hold at that point because I knew it wasn't going to work well. And I'd rather not do it, than do something that didn't work well."
Something like that is never going to happen for 1 game. It would need to happen for multiple games to use.

Maybe, something like a company can pay for priority routing on the internet ... though that breaks net-neutrality.
Prydwen
Lairiodd Level 50 Nightshade and Legendary Grandmaster Smith (1065) check prices here
Lairirian Level 50 Mana Mentalist and Legendary Spellcrafter (TDD)
Lairgreybark Level 50 Arb Animist
Lairmindlock Level 50 Bard (TDD)
Camlann
Lairthall Level 35+ Friar

Stocking one 99% of most of the useful spellcrafting gems at Houses 3304 and 3306

Over 150 gems at 99% stocked

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

Lairiodd wrote:Something like that is never going to happen for 1 game. It would need to happen for multiple games to use.

Maybe, something like a company can pay for priority routing on the internet ... though that breaks net-neutrality.
I can't imagine any type of game that needs that short ping times, at worst you're not going to get anymore than 80ms ping on ADSL or ISDN with a decent ISP to a decent host.

I average around 40ms max to most game servers, when this is enough to compete on every fast paced, twitch based FPS game why would a space strategy game need shorter ping times than this? Perhaps he's talking more about bandwidth but when the entire elite galaxy was created from an 2 byte seed then this guy of all people should be capable of working around bandwidth limitations.

One thing to note Lair is that a company with enough financial clout could install their own kit in exchanges now with local loop unbundling out there but like you say, the chance of a company doing that for one game is unlikely. Frankly it's absolutely dire game design practice to even contemplate building a game around that kind of requirement anyway.
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

Lairiodd
Emerald Rider

Post by Lairiodd »

In Elite, ship to ship aiming was handled like a FPS, so maybe that he what he is thinking of.

What I meant by multiple games, would be that 1 company would install the hardware, and then sell the low ping to game servers.
Prydwen
Lairiodd Level 50 Nightshade and Legendary Grandmaster Smith (1065) check prices here
Lairirian Level 50 Mana Mentalist and Legendary Spellcrafter (TDD)
Lairgreybark Level 50 Arb Animist
Lairmindlock Level 50 Bard (TDD)
Camlann
Lairthall Level 35+ Friar

Stocking one 99% of most of the useful spellcrafting gems at Houses 3304 and 3306

Over 150 gems at 99% stocked

Ovi
Emerald Rider

Post by Ovi »

I guess 2000 was before ADSL was available so widely. I can understand not wanting to make it for 56k Modems :)

Ankh, I remember the same with traveller, as a RPG it was pretty crap, but had hours of fun making characters :)

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

Ovi wrote:I guess 2000 was before ADSL was available so widely. I can understand not wanting to make it for 56k Modems :)

Ankh, I remember the same with traveller, as a RPG it was pretty crap, but had hours of fun making characters :)
Pfft, I couldn't get DSL until early 2004 and I was playing FPS' on dialup fine since 1995! ;) You just had to lead your opponent when you aim to compensate for lag :p
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

Return to “Other Games”