Strange error with CDs/DVDs

A home for those technical problems.
Gandelf

Strange error with CDs/DVDs

Post by Gandelf »

Anyone able to help?

Some games I install require the CD or DVD to be in the drive before the game will load up. In some cases I get the message telling me to insert the correct disc, even though the disc is in the drive.

I've noticed though, that if I log out of my normal administrator account in Win XP, then long onto another account on the same computer, that the games work.

It's puzzling me. I guess it's something in the profile, but I'm not sure where to find it or what to do. So, does anyone have any information about what I should do please?

Thanks.

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

Could just be that many games use idiotic copy protection now that means the games wont work regardless.

Do you have anything like Daemon Tools or Alcohol 120% installed? These can upset some copy protection mechanisms too.

Honestly, the best bet is to get a crack downloaded from http://www.gamecopyworld.com it's a sad sad day where you have to rely on pirates to make a game work where a publisher has broken it. May I ask which game it is? I had similar troubles like that with Command and Conquer The First Decade and LotR: BFME2. Frankly, I wont buy another game from EA on the PC until they start saying on the box that it hasn't got some idiotic copy protection mechanism that stops you from actually playing the game you've paid for.
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

Gandelf

Post by Gandelf »

Xest wrote:May I ask which game it is?

Well, it's happened with several games. At the moment it's Civilization IV that's causing the problem, but other games include:-

Vampire Bloodlines
Rome: Total War
Doom III
Ghostmaster

The thing is that I can play the games if I log on to another user account on the same computer. They just don't want to acknowledge the CD when I'm logged on to my standard user account.

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

Onto a standard user account or an admin user account?

Gandelf

Post by Gandelf »

It's really weird. On Admin accounts I get the problem, on limited accounts there are no problems??

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

All admin accounts or just the one admin account?

Gandelf

Post by Gandelf »

All of 'em.

Luz
Emerald Rider

Post by Luz »

Never ran into any of this in all my years of gaming.

Maybe you windows is broken somehow.
Maybe you should do a new account and move all your profile stuff to it ?
Bah. Lv50s.
Animist, Bard, Druid, Enchanter, Nightshade, Vampiir

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

If you turn an admin account that it doesn't work on into a limited account does it then work?

Cromcruaich

Post by Cromcruaich »

I'd say coincidence, but seems you can reproduce it reliably, so its a bit of a mystery.

And this sort of thing is pretty common with modern copy protection.

Its a long shot, but as I really can't think of any reason why it wouldnt work as admin (except for buggy copy protection that relys on read access to protected files or some such - you may of found a copy protection hack there gand!), but your not doing something else coincidental, like sticking it in a different dvd/cd when you retry it?
Crom, Druid of Na Fianna Dragun

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire...the A(nimist)-Team

Cue music for full effect.

Thanks to Tuthmes for the link.

Return to “Tech Help”