Wireless Voice Comms?

A home for those technical problems.
Ovi
Emerald Rider

Wireless Voice Comms?

Post by Ovi »

Has anyone got any experience of using a wireless headset for Voice comms? It seems it should be possible using a standard mobile Bluetooth headset and bluetooth dongle, just curious to see if any has tried it, and what the quality is like?

There are 2 models I have seen that are particularly interesting, one being a "trusted" manufacturer, and the other appearing to be the same thing just half the price, so any info on these 2 would be particularly useful.

Trusted :- http://accessories.skype.com/item?SID=0 ... 0&sku=CFLN

Cheap :- http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductI ... =236909#kb

TIA for any Info :)

Heta
Emerald Rider

Post by Heta »

woho!! thats just great

now everyone on my vent can listen to me taking a piss!
Woho! I got a 360 \o/

Heta
Emerald Rider

Post by Heta »

this on the other hand is a problem

# 4 hrs talk time and 120 hrs standby time.

4 hrs talk time is way to little
Woho! I got a 360 \o/

Ovi
Emerald Rider

Post by Ovi »

Heta wrote:this on the other hand is a problem

# 4 hrs talk time and 120 hrs standby time.

4 hrs talk time is way to little

Charge time is less than 4 hours, so 2 batteries will allow 99% coverage (the 1% being the time to swap!).

Since the original post I have found a couple of reviews of the Motorola headset, and it seems like there is a noticeable difference in sound quality when compared to a USB headset, which seem to be related to the wireless.

I guess I need to find one to test :o

Ovi
Emerald Rider

Post by Ovi »

I managed to try a Bluetooth headset quickly with one of our laptops yesterday. It seemed quite easy to set up and the quality, although noticeably worse than my Corded headset, was still acceptable.

For long sessions I think it will be much more comfortable, so I have taken the plunge and ordered the Motorola kit from Skype. Will see how it goes :)

Gahn

Post by Gahn »

http://headsetplus.com/product220/product_info.html

Not the cheapest ofc but prolly the best with no Bluetooth crap in between
Gahn LoneWolf Celt Seraph Tiarna Prydwen
Na Fianna Dragun
Gahn Lonewolf Guardian [TDA] on Gunnar's Hold

Ovi
Emerald Rider

Post by Ovi »

I use a CS-60 at work, they are fantastic headsets. Unfortuantely out of my home price range, hence looking at Bluetooth as the only "cheap" alternative.

VegetaFH1
Emerald Rider

Post by VegetaFH1 »

WHy cant they make a Wireless Headset with two ear thingies
So u can have a left to right and right to left sound while in games with a microphone
Kinda like my headset only wireless

U cudnt be bluetooth cus that wood drain the batterys WAY to fast, so it wood have to have some sort of recharger (witch... is obvious cus its wireless)

*EDIT*

Kinda like this only with a microphone
http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=313798
ImageImage
ImageImage

Ovi
Emerald Rider

Post by Ovi »

Apparently Bluetooth 2 (when it arrives) should support Stereo and Mic with good quality.

The limitation is that they can't get enough data to maintain quality for 3 sounds channels, left right and mic, at the same time over current wireless speeds with small enough devices. It will happen soon though, if not in Bluetooth 2, then in something else.

The battery life isn't that bad with the latest Bluetooth devices, most reasonably priced ones (i.e. not cheap crap) have a talk time of 6 hours+, and to be honest after that time my ear needs a break from the headset anyway :)

Ovi
Emerald Rider

Post by Ovi »

So far my impressions of the Bluetooth headset are quite good. The sound quality is fine, and no cable is a real bonus!

There are a couple of issues.

Every time I turn the headset on it sresets the Audio devices, so I end up with game sounds through the headset until I set them back. Also it seems to need the pin code everytime (almost as if it isn't pairing correctly?).

The other issue is that after a time, not fixed but usually between an hour or 2, the headset seems to lose the connection, and won't get it back! Haven't tried to troubleshoot a lot though, as i have swapped to cabled headset to finish the raid as quick as possible! Still a bonus not having me big headset for the whole time though, it does get a little hot after a few hours :)

Return to “Tech Help”