Advice on DAOC recording using graphics card s-video out to tv card

A home for those technical problems.
Cromcruaich

Advice on DAOC recording using graphics card s-video out to tv card

Post by Cromcruaich »

NFD GG1 want to start recording their rvr sessions but rather than use fraps I would much rather use a hardware solution.

Now ive got a radeon 9800xt with an S-video out, and it looks like I should be able to get screen output to the s-video out and the vga (or dvi connector) at the same time. I've identified several tv and movie editing cards that have an s-video in for sticking in a seperate pc for recording the output.

What I want to know is are there any things I need to be aware of before purchasing a tv-in/movie editing card for this purpose, have people successfully done this with a radeon card, and finally what tv-in/editing cards people recommend.

thanks in anticipation!
Crom, Druid of Na Fianna Dragun

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire...the A(nimist)-Team

Cue music for full effect.

Thanks to Tuthmes for the link.

HappyG
Emerald Rider

Post by HappyG »

Ello :)

First of all, reconsider using fraps. I'm sure at least someone in your GG has a good box to run it, and when talking about quality, it seriously pwns PAL output.

About the best you can get from TV signal is what you can see in Quivna's movies. He used S-video -> digital cam -> fireware to get it back on the PC.

I don't know much about different TV cards, but I do know, some cheaper cards wont automaticly cut the black border that comes arround the picture in PAL signal, so you'll have to do it yourself when youll edit the movie later on. Not much of a problem, but if you can avoid it...

My first movie was done with GeForce S-video output on a classic VCR, than back via S-video into a cheap (cheapest I could get) TV tuner. Besides the fact that PAL resolution is crap, VCR fucks up the colors, it worked out fine, so yeah its doable.
Hep, treated MMORPG addict, on the way to master his uni
Morana, one of a few Rangers, that did not Zerg. Retired for good.

Cromcruaich

Post by Cromcruaich »

Ta for that. By the response looks like not many people use hardware recording. I'll spend 40 quid or so on a card and give it a go - can always use it as an expensive and energy inefficient radio on the other PC if it doesnt work.
Crom, Druid of Na Fianna Dragun

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire...the A(nimist)-Team

Cue music for full effect.

Thanks to Tuthmes for the link.

Octagon
Emerald Rider

Post by Octagon »

wtf!! you gonna record my fuckups for all to see??

the shame the shame :( :(
Escalla/Octagon/Reese/Dariah/Regene/Atomic

NFD

Return to “Tech Help”