FPS lag

A home for those technical problems.
Dardalion
Emerald Rider

FPS lag

Post by Dardalion »

and for my next divvy question .. what causes fps lag? i have a permanent yellow triangle.

And my mouse pointer still moves like its covered in glue :(

Think this is the death knell for me :/
Fighting Enviro-crime irl 8-)

Ankh Morpork

Post by Ankh Morpork »

Only things I can think of are:

Low memory (need more memory on your motherboard)
old/to slow gfx card (might have to slow GPU or doesnt fully support everything, to little memory on it..or could also be an MX card)
bad direct X (reinstall)
bad gfx drivers (reinstall)
low cpu power (turn things off in the background or get new faster cpu)
Slow/full hd (might need to free some space for Virtual Memory OR defrag the hd where you got daoc)
Virus (well, who knows)
Daoc Client (try using SI/TOA in rvr or turn off Catacombs models..think you know this one already but thought I might mention it anyway)
Overheated (check all fans and make sure they run as they should, could need to invest in new more powerful ones. Remove the case of your pc to get more air into it incase you dont want to buy new fans and make sure it got some space and not just packed up with lots of stuff round it)
Zerg (make sure there are less albs on your screen..i.e quit daoc ;))

Its always a good idea to turn off as many gfx options as possible in the game, nice water effects and beutiful trees are nice but if they makes the game unplayable they will just have to go. Same with viewing distance ofc.
You can also try and update all other drivers on your pc and if you got AMD try updating your VIA drivers. If your not sure if your drivers are up to date check this site out http://www.drivershq.com . It's a paysite if you wish to be able to download the drivers directly from it, but there is a free scan option which is quite useful as it tells you what you need to update.

Edit: I know You proberbly know all these things already but I thought I might aswell mention them anyway!

/Ankh

pikeh
Emerald Rider

Post by pikeh »

Dardalion wrote:and for my next divvy question .. what causes fps lag? i have a permanent yellow triangle.

And my mouse pointer still moves like its covered in glue :(

Think this is the death knell for me :/
are you sure you dont have the GFX Cards settings set at like Maximum quality? I have a slider to control mine and i leave it on minimum qual all the time and you cant really notice the difference.
Piikeh/SH/r40/rr4X
<White Rose>
R.I.P Severance

Ankh Morpork

Post by Ankh Morpork »

To get some more speed you could make sure the Virtual Memory is place on another HD than the one you got DAoC on (not another partition, another harddrive) this might help too. Also, turning off all fancy effects in windows helps (use classic mode in windows, remove your wallpaper etc etc)

/Ankh

Pharoahe
Emerald Rider

Post by Pharoahe »

Check your BIOS for your AGP MB size, mine was set on 64mb and I have a 256DDR card, caused lots of lag for me :p Set it to the limit your card has. Also set the 2x, 4x, 8x function in BIOS as well, put it to Auto, if there is no Auto function, put the limit your card has, new cards use 8x.
Cuthifen, Tavern Regular of the Artisans of Willow (L50 Celt Bard, Legendary Armorer)
Conzpi, Stranger of the Artisans of Willow (L43 Elf Enchanter, Apprentice Spellcrafter)
Edielath, Clanlord of Circle of Satai (L42 Lurikeen Ranger, Apprentice Fletcher)

Reinforced L51 masterpieces in merchant at house 3702 in Limerick.

Return to “Tech Help”