Thoughts, a month after release...

Home for Lord of the Rings Online Players
Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

OohhoO wrote:so now you've posted the disadvantages of PvP what about the advantages?

I don't see any above that I personally consider as advantages.

Which might be why 80%+ of LotRo players want no PvP at all.

Alternatively they might just be too mature to get any enjoyment from senseless ganking & winding other players up.
So you mean you'd prefer content that gets boring quickly and is exactly the same every time?

Your claim that PvP is just for kids is a bit daft, because you're being as childish as any PvPer out there, it's like saying all LotR players are obviously paedophiles really, because we all know it's not true, just like we know plenty of mature adults enjoy PvP. Even then I'm not sure that immaturity (as you class it, most people would call it knowing how to have a laugh) is that bad a thing, it certainly trumps the boring old manic-depressive fart stereotype that you seem to be suggesting is somehow superior. Also, if Gandelf is an example of an ideal member of the LotR community then, well, I'll pass thanks, I think that alone says it all really :p

If you think annoying kids are somehow limited to playing only PvP games then you've obviously never, ever played Everquest or must've quit UO before Trammel came along.
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

Hoonius

Post by Hoonius »

Xest wrote:So you mean you'd prefer content that gets boring quickly and is exactly the same every time?

Your claim that PvP is just for kids is a bit daft, because you're being as childish as any PvPer out there, it's like saying all LotR players are obviously paedophiles really, because we all know it's not true, just like we know plenty of mature adults enjoy PvP. Even then I'm not sure that immaturity (as you class it, most people would call it knowing how to have a laugh) is that bad a thing, it certainly trumps the boring old manic-depressive fart stereotype that you seem to be suggesting is somehow superior. Also, if Gandelf is an example of an ideal member of the LotR community then, well, I'll pass thanks, I think that alone says it all really :p

If you think annoying kids are somehow limited to playing only PvP games then you've obviously never, ever played Everquest or must've quit UO before Trammel came along.
Word, TBH

I understand trying to attract players to LotRO on one hand guys, but to say PvP is enjoyed by childlike minds only is just plain nonsense.

I though OohhoO and Gandelf had both played one of the most PvP advanced games ever? How you both could have missed the immense PvP potential of DAoC if totally beyond me. TBH, plz stick with LotRO. I'd hate to have to kick you from my group in WAR when we're PvPing left and right
Gandelf wrote:PvE is far superior to PvP any day and anyone who argues otherwise seriously needs a brain transplant
Sig-worthy stuff right there. Could you even slander a bigger MMO demographic? I think not :¬þ

Lieva
Emerald Rider

Post by Lieva »

Hmm

Whilst there are alot of people who do fall into the catagory of gankers and are mostly children, there are alot of people who enjoy PvP just as much as people enjoy PvE.

So...when a whole people in a game say 'we dun want no PvP' i can understand it just as surely as the peeps in daoc used to say 'we dun want no more PvE'

Its got nowt to do with how old you are or if youve had a bad day (that does contribute but its not the end) or if youre compensating for something, its all about trying your skills out on someone you dont know to see whos best :p Sure you dont win alot of the time and mostly you get outnumbered but when its just you and them and you win...its kinda kewl :)
Lievaordiea x Eldritch
Peonchants x Enchanter
Hibernia

OohhoO

Post by OohhoO »

Xest wrote: the boring old manic-depressive fart stereotype that you seem to be suggesting is somehow superior
The majority of LotRo players are over 30.
The majority of LotRo players don't want any PvP or the mindset of PvPers in the game.
Coincidence?

I'd also suggest that the majority of LotRo players probably aren't manic-depressive & are having a great time in LotRo :)

Are you incapable of having fun without ganking & griefing people?
That would strike me as being kinda sick TBH.
-
Paddock - L60 Male Man Hunter - SM Tailor
Moegren - L53 Male Man Captain - SM Weaponsmith GM Woodworker
Paddreth - L60 Male Man Minstrel - SM Jeweller GM Cook
Skyros - L57 Male Man Loremaster - SM Scholar GM Farmer
Pauncho - L60 Male Hobbit Burglar - SM Armoursmith
-

OohhoO

Post by OohhoO »

Hoonius wrote:I though OohhoO and Gandelf had both played one of the most PvP advanced games ever? How you both could have missed the immense PvP potential of DAoC if totally beyond me. TBH, plz stick with LotRO. I'd hate to have to kick you from my group in WAR when we're PvPing left and right
We didn't miss it.
It was horribly flawed in inumerable ways which Mythic continually made worse & worse.
We've moved on.

You won't be able to kick me as I DEFINATELY WON'T be playing WAR. :D
-
-

Ovi
Emerald Rider

Post by Ovi »

Different people like different things.

I fall somewhere between the 2, I prefer PvE but PvP is something which can help fill the time between PvE content getting boring and the next PvE content being released.

I don't think it is any coincidence that the longest I have stuck to a MMORPG was DAoC, where the PvP was pretty good, and could certainly be entertaining for those that weren't in the "UBer elite!"

If Toa hadn't had the big impact on PvP it did I think DAoC would've lasted a lot longer than it did, because it was ToA that finally killed off the casual PvPers ability to keep up.

Hoonius

Post by Hoonius »

Ovi wrote:If Toa hadn't had the big impact on PvP it did I think DAoC would've lasted a lot longer than it did, because it was ToA that finally killed off the casual PvPers ability to keep up.
Maybe that's the key to it Ovi, well spotted.

Casual PvP is a lot of fun and, while DAoC had the best PvP concept, it was ruined by the rush to be uber leet templated/ML'd/CL'd chars out there for this and that bonus etc.

It's not all about elitism is the point i'm trying to make. Maybe elitist DAoC PvP has left a bad taste in some people's mouths

OohhoO

Post by OohhoO »

Hoonius wrote:Maybe that's the key to it Ovi, well spotted.

Casual PvP is a lot of fun and, while DAoC had the best PvP concept, it was ruined by the rush to be uber leet templated/ML'd/CL'd chars out there for this and that bonus etc.

It's not all about elitism is the point i'm trying to make. Maybe elitist DAoC PvP has left a bad taste in some people's mouths
That's true.
I really enjoyed RvR before ToA.
I never really enjoyed it at all post-ToA.
-
-

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

OohhoO wrote:The majority of LotRo players are over 30.
Didn't know that, can you post the link showing the full age listings of LotR online players? be intrigued to see these statistics showing this. I think it's more a case that you'd like to believe there is some magic barrier that, when you turn 30 makes you so much more mature (or not as you yourself are proving here).
OohhoO wrote:Are you incapable of having fun without ganking & griefing people?
That would strike me as being kinda sick TBH.
Ah, so that's the problem, you don't actually have any idea what PvP really is. The term ganking comes from gang killing people originally in MMOs, that is, basically zerging them. To someone like yourself, and Gandelf who probably just hid in the middle of zergs it's understandable that you might think this is what PvP is all about, killing people 100 vs 1.

Griefing is something that is much more common in PvE in various MMOs - mob stealing, loot stealing, scamming and so forth. Good luck if you think LotRo wont have any of that sometime in the future.

PvP comes in different shapes and sizes, whereas ganking is one form of PvP it's also a generally shunned form of PvP. Many PvPers are actually quite honorable, in that they would rather not stoop to the zerging/ganking that ironically, players like yourself partake in when they go out and PvP. Most importantly is the fact that you've ignored it's possible to PvP with even numbers or even solo. You may have heard of the term 8 vs 8 when you were sat in PvE land, I'd be greatful to know how this in any way falls under the heading of greifing or ganking that you apparently think is what PvP is all about.
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

OohhoO

Post by OohhoO »

Wow you really are bitter!

Get out of bed on the wrong side or what?

You make so many assumptions which are completely & utterly wrong.
Most of my RvRing was actually done in a dedicated 8-man, not in a zerg, and not with cheapskate com-software either.
-
-

Return to “Lord of the Rings Online”