Thoughts, a month after release...

Home for Lord of the Rings Online Players
Hoonius

Post by Hoonius »

Ovi wrote:I pretty much agree, LOTRO is very nice but I just can't face the grind any longer.

DAoC was different because there was fun to be had after the grind with RvR, until they introduced the grind for that too.

The only MMORPG I have played that does have a somewhat different feel is Eve-online. There isn't a "Max level" so you are always choosing what skill to train for yet, no one has all of the available skills they introduce more when anyone gets close.

It does still have some grinding to get better equipment, but on the whole I felt it was a lot less.

I tend to play it for 2-3 months and then take a break again, it is a bit too PvP orientated for me so in the 2-3 months I can do all of the PvE I can before getting bored again :)

(Just remembered Planetside, that was a bit different too, but only PvP so not a long term game for me)
Eve Does rock, but it's 100% PvP as you say. Kinda hard to get started as well with all the real-time training you have to do just to fly the ships. No matter how hard you play, it takes 3 months before you can really be effective in the game.

The PvP is dynamite though. DAoC had the backstory to pull off a successful PvP, but Eve takes it to a new level. The adrenaline is just insane with so much to lose. Has me hooked again anyway and i've really grown to love PvP these days.

Luz
Emerald Rider

Post by Luz »

I tried Eve. But I mean it was so slow and it took like 20 minutes to get anywhere.
I couldn't see the thrill?

I basicly been out of the mmo-loop for months now untill I tried LOTRo.

I like it, when I take it easy. I dont stress myself anymore, just put on some music at home, lean back and click my way thru the story with no hurry.

Maybe I could get into any mmo at this point with my current mentality, but basicly to me all mmo theese days are the same. Untill something new (and I mean REALLY new as in play) I will choose LOTRo because I like the world and lore very much.

And I am on a RP server so I can get a few laughs from light laidback RP from time to time.
Bah. Lv50s.
Animist, Bard, Druid, Enchanter, Nightshade, Vampiir

OohhoO

Post by OohhoO »

Luz wrote:And I am on a RP server so I can get a few laughs from light laidback RP from time to time.
You should see my collection of silly hats!
:)
-
Paddock - L60 Male Man Hunter - SM Tailor
Moegren - L53 Male Man Captain - SM Weaponsmith GM Woodworker
Paddreth - L60 Male Man Minstrel - SM Jeweller GM Cook
Skyros - L57 Male Man Loremaster - SM Scholar GM Farmer
Pauncho - L60 Male Hobbit Burglar - SM Armoursmith
-

Sharkith

Post by Sharkith »

OohhoO wrote:You should see my collection of silly hats!
:)
its almost worth popping into the game just because of that line! ;)
Na Fianna Dragun

Karak-Eight Peaks, Kiera ze Witch Hunter

Eve online - Kaminjosvig.

Satyn
Emerald Rider

Post by Satyn »

Satyn wrote:right had a word with Xalin and to help one rumor out of the world:

Xalin zegt:
No Requiel was always in line for the Community Manager job that's not a field I was going to get into. I was actually going to run the UK CS team before I got a better offer that lead me away from GOA.
Xalin zegt:
and feel free to quote me on that one but I honestly don't mind the rumors... in fact they have been kind to me so far it's mostly Req being the target of the flames.

duh nana can you move this post to the requiel one, i must have been sleeping when i posted that here yesterday
Fallen Spirits GM
Obscurum GM
E&E
satyn1:

Hoonius

Post by Hoonius »

Luz wrote:I tried Eve. But I mean it was so slow and it took like 20 minutes to get anywhere.
I couldn't see the thrill?
Travel is an issue but they did make it possible to jump striaght to the gates avoiding that 15km run-of-death to each gate which cuts down travel time considerably. It's still a logistical issue but thats the whole point. If you have to engage sombody else and your mates are half way across the galaxy, it makes you think about your solo ability and fighting options as you really don't want to lose that shiny new battleship you just worked really hard to get. This even more apparent in the bigger alliance battles where logistics is a whole section of the army, as it were. Getting enough force behind enemy lines undetected is a difficult task

But it takes months to get anywhere really, which does weed out alot of the noobz, but also a lot of busier people who see it as a waste of time. If you want to get into it, just get a new account and sit in the station learning skills for a few weeks then hit the pvp. However, this kinda means playing two games at once since eve is a no-go for weeks at the very start.

Ovi
Emerald Rider

Post by Ovi »

It's not as bad as it was with the new skills that new starters get, as well as the changes in the learning skills. It is possible to PvP with lower skills, but it does take a certain mindset, especially as Death creates quite a big loss compared to most MMORPGs.

Gandelf

Post by Gandelf »

I think LotRO is now the standard by which all mmorpgs should be measured. It's got the best of everything and so many innovations that I wanted for DAoC, but never happened. The only whine I have about LotRO is that after level 20, most of the quests require a group (or that's how it seems). There should be more solo quests for those who don't want to group. But I love everything else about it. There is no real grind (not like DAoC used to be) and although at first, money is hard to earn, from about level 20, it starts to accumulate very nicely. Glad that I had the foresight to buy lifetime subs.

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

Gandelf wrote:It's got the best of everything
Yes, I hear it has the best PvP in the whole wide world.

I also hear it has high resolution graphics!
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

Lieva
Emerald Rider

Post by Lieva »

Satyn wrote:duh nana can you move this post to the requiel one, i must have been sleeping when i posted that here yesterday

done it but its on page 2
Lievaordiea x Eldritch
Peonchants x Enchanter
Hibernia

Return to “Lord of the Rings Online”