Sharkith

Post by Sharkith »

I certainly will
Na Fianna Dragun

Karak-Eight Peaks, Kiera ze Witch Hunter

Eve online - Kaminjosvig.

Hoonius

Post by Hoonius »

Takitothemacs wrote:not played it but it reaffirms my belief that with the arrival of WAR Ill play on US servers as opposed to playing on a 3rd party host. Ill take my chances with connection to the US over dealing with a 3rd party again.

Thanks for stating your reasons Ovi. good to know for future reference.
I actually get far better response from the US than i get from French servers. I stumbled across http://www.speedtest.net/ and my rate to 'Gay Paris' was a mere 219kbps last night at 18:00 uk time, whereas i was getting 3089kbps to Florida. Timezone is abviously a factor but surely not that extent

Using the TOA client in Europe is a joke, has been for ages. With the US version, i can alt-tab to a browser, get auto-complete working, populated site history and everything. With the GOA one, i'm lucky if firefox even opens. This isn't net-connection related though but does highlight the issue of having 2 code bases for the same game. You gotta imagine a similar thing for LotRO

US all the way from now on!!

Malik
Emerald Rider

Post by Malik »

Hoonius wrote: US all the way from now on!!

Amen! mwahaha:
Malik/Trud
<Iron Wolves>

Currently playing:
WAR - Red Eye M: Saintly <Raven Host Elite>

OohhoO

Post by OohhoO »

Hoonius wrote:US all the way from now on!!
yahhh but then you have to put up with all those yanks & that would be utterly intolerable =/
-
Paddock - L60 Male Man Hunter - SM Tailor
Moegren - L53 Male Man Captain - SM Weaponsmith GM Woodworker
Paddreth - L60 Male Man Minstrel - SM Jeweller GM Cook
Skyros - L57 Male Man Loremaster - SM Scholar GM Farmer
Pauncho - L60 Male Hobbit Burglar - SM Armoursmith
-

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

OohhoO wrote:yahhh but then you have to put up with all those yanks & that would be utterly intolerable =/
Well if it's anything like DAoC they're a minority anyway :p

At least as many euros as there is yanks and asians as there is yanks on the US DAoC servers. Is plenty of Canadians and a few South Americans/Australians too. Not to mention that you also get to KILL those yanks :p

When I subscribe to a 24/7 service like this I expect the following things:
- 24/7 response to service faults
- 24/7 automated monitoring systems to alert support teams of errors
- Proper backup regime and off-site backup
- Solid security features

GOA had none of these in place (well maybe they have now, who knows) yet these things really are the absolute basics of running this kind of service - I've witnessed British government IT schemes have these things in place even and government IT projects are renowned for their track records of incompetence and failure.

I could handle the longer patch times and the additional bugs a 3rd party has to deal with, but what I can't deal with is sheer incompetence at running the service. If euro WAR was being run by a different company therefore, I'd be willing to give it a go even if it was a 3rd party situation still, but I simply can't trust or throw away money to a company whose staff aren't even clued up on how to correctly and professionally run the very service they're offering. Even outside of their backend staff, Requiel and other GMs have on multiple occasions shown bias and unfair handling of some in-game situations - this is really bad, when this has occurred in other MMOs it's been a case of instant dismissal. I'm not saying Requiel should be sacked or anything but where is the accountability? His attitude on forums hasn't changed over the years, in a professional environment he'd be made to act a lot more responsibly than he does. This is of course the crux of the problem at GOA, there just seems to be no sense of responsibility or accountability, which for a free volunteer service is understandable but when my credit card and personal details are involved, no thanks!
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

Hoonius

Post by Hoonius »

OohhoO wrote:yahhh but then you have to put up with all those yanks & that would be utterly intolerable =/
They're actually a pretty friendly bunch as it goes. Sure, there are some nubz and total a-holes but they're everywhere and you'll never escape them totally.

There was also much less of a cliqué on Lancelot 2004 then on Prydwen 2004. I don't know what it is like here now but it was really hard to find a group that would accept a random person on Prydwen at that time. Everyone seemed to be off in their own little closed groups with little to no outsiders being allowed anywhere near. The US was a breeze by comparison

Plus, Amercian chicks dig English accents big time, and there's a load of them that play even now. I think it's more noticable with public voice comms though since you can confirm they're chicks and not hairy truckdrivers masquerading as chicks

clearbrook
Emerald Rider

Post by clearbrook »

Hoonius wrote: I think it's more noticable with public voice comms though since you can confirm they're chicks and not hairy truckdrivers masquerading as chicks

yeh right http://www.audio4fun.com/voice-changer.htm

Hoonius

Post by Hoonius »

OMG

Make a new online nickname, along with a “nickvoice”, and chat with your spouse...

They're out to get you man

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

Yeah, and I used to group with someone on Merlin quite often and was convinced it was a man for months until I actually found out it was a woman, in fact it was hard to tell cos she sounded exactly like Michael Jackson so it works the other way too Hoonius :p
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

Sharkith

Post by Sharkith »

I just want to note that I agree 100% with Xest up above.
Na Fianna Dragun

Karak-Eight Peaks, Kiera ze Witch Hunter

Eve online - Kaminjosvig.

Return to “Lord of the Rings Online”