Getting a US Account

Home for Warhammer Online players
Cernos
Emerald Rider

Getting a US Account

Post by Cernos »

Where is the best place to buy WAR in order to play on the US servers?

I'd prefer not to have to download the client (I have slow broadband) so is there a reliable store that will mail the disks with reasonable postage charges (and better still anywhere that can avoid import duty)?

Alternatively is it possible to install from the EU disks and then just buy a US key?

Hoonius

Post by Hoonius »

Cernos wrote:Where is the best place to buy WAR in order to play on the US servers?

I'd prefer not to have to download the client (I have slow broadband) so is there a reliable store that will mail the disks with reasonable postage charges (and better still anywhere that can avoid import duty)?

Alternatively is it possible to install from the EU disks and then just buy a US key?
it's not been possible with the beta software to port an EU client to a US one but that's not to say the beta was special in some ways, they may have hard-coded it

The easiest option is to buy from somewhere like Gamersloot.net, but you only get the key and not the box so you will have to download the client. Worry not though, there's a torrent you can get it from that's pretty well seeded and gamerloot will email you keys on the 16th so no open beta or head start however.

I've ordered from both gamersloot and Gamestop.com. Gamestop do send the boxes (as a gift) and they have been sending out open beta keys for pre-orders as well. they might take a week to send you the boxes when it comes out but Mythic have stated there will be 7 days grace before you have to enter your live key so that should cover it. even it's an extra couple of days, it's not the end of the world

It's all possible :¬)

Lairiodd
Emerald Rider

Post by Lairiodd »

I bought from gamestop.
Prydwen
Lairiodd Level 50 Nightshade and Legendary Grandmaster Smith (1065) check prices here
Lairirian Level 50 Mana Mentalist and Legendary Spellcrafter (TDD)
Lairgreybark Level 50 Arb Animist
Lairmindlock Level 50 Bard (TDD)
Camlann
Lairthall Level 35+ Friar

Stocking one 99% of most of the useful spellcrafting gems at Houses 3304 and 3306

Over 150 gems at 99% stocked

Cernos
Emerald Rider

Post by Cernos »

Thanks for that. Looks like Gamestop is the way to go.

Lairiodd
Emerald Rider

Post by Lairiodd »

Bleh, seems my CC-address didn't match my actual address (though my CC company said it should) and my account is closed now.

I assume a gamersloot key would work with a normal key. Ofc, it doesn't really matter as my chars were all < level 5.
Prydwen
Lairiodd Level 50 Nightshade and Legendary Grandmaster Smith (1065) check prices here
Camlann

Stocking one 99% of most of the useful spellcrafting gems at Houses 3304 and 3306

Hoonius

Post by Hoonius »

Lairiodd wrote:Bleh, seems my CC-address didn't match my actual address (though my CC company said it should) and my account is closed now.

I assume a gamersloot key would work with a normal key. Ofc, it doesn't really matter as my chars were all < level 5.
i had address problems as well, was a nightmare in the end. They were quick on the postage but I had to pay import duty on all the solid copies :¬(

Gamersloot was the best option for sure

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

Biggest problem nowadays isn't important duties - they're actually fairly reasonable and with exchange rates still sometimes turns out cheaper than buying European version usually even with the duty.

The real problem is if it's delivered by UPS who slap a £11 charge on top for dealing with the import duty for you. I'm not sure if you can contact customs and inform them you've got a package coming in and pay them so UPS don't have to do this and hence can't sting you with their £11 import handling charge or not. It's something UPS have only brought in in the last year or so. If you live near me you also have to deal with an arsehole with a strong Newcastle accent too who gets upset at the fact he's having to deliver something. Quite what he thinks his job should actually be as a courier drive I don't know.

I'm not sure what courier dvdboxoffice.com uses as they're the other option, if they don't use UPS it's a bonus.

Still Gamersloot.net is indeed the best option post release, I think I'll probably use them for any expansions, however if I do want a boxed copy then I'll try dvdboxoffice.com next time to see if we can avoid ****ty UPS that way!

That or get people we know in the US/Canada to send copies is the alternative of course, if it's sent as a personal gift from them it should bypass import duties and UPS' new scam also.

Regarding UPS though, I'm not sure if you have to pay it, as you never agreed to pay UPS anything for that service I'm not sure where you'd stand legally, particularly if they never contacted you to give you the choice of accepting it or not as they used to do. They used to phone you and ask if you wanted to pay immediately at import using a card. Now they just cover it themselves and sting you for £11 more. Presumably their excuse is it's to cover for people who refuse to accept these things once they've seen the import duties that UPS has already covered.
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

Lairiodd
Emerald Rider

Post by Lairiodd »

Well, I sent them an updated address, and it says that they take 2 days to process. I assume they don't email the codes before mailing it (other than the beta ones)?

Virtually every MMORPG for the last few years that I have bought, I have ended up buying twice :p. If I bother with gamersloot, then War will be no different.

Btw, someone on freddy's recommended:

http://www.offgamers.com/warhammer-onli ... .ogm?tpl=2

Has anyone tried them, they are $10 less.

I notice that both gamersloot and the above are gold sellers.

I bought from https://www.interactcd.com/

They will email the code and then mail the box. Has anyone tried them before. They don't seem to email the codes within minutes of ordering though ... bah.
Prydwen
Camlann

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

The other option is using a proxy or similar and buying from EA store or using Direct2Drive or whatever and Paypal I think
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

Return to “Warhammer Online”