GOA - facing big problems

Home for Warhammer Online players
Sharkith

GOA - facing big problems

Post by Sharkith »

Discussion here:

http://forums.freddyshouse.com/warhammer-308/231270-official-updates-discussion-6.html

Official updates here:

http://forums.freddyshouse.com/warhammer308/231269-official-updates.html

General update
We have encountered serious problems with the authentication system since this morning, while the stability of the game servers, the speed of the patcher and the performance of the downloader have all been satisfactory. This issue, combined with an exceptional amount of traffic and a fault which was not identified during the extensive tests we ran on our platform has unfortunately limited the access to our servers to only a few of you along with our closed beta testers who had already been a part of the closed beta.

During the day, we have reconfigured authentication and database servers several times, both of which suffered under the huge number of simultaneous connections. The investigations and corrections we have done so far were essentially targeting the parts of the system which didn’t require a complete stop of the writing process in the database. This means we preferred to keep the database turned on during the day to let it work on the huge number of accounts that were in the process of being handled. This operation will continue through the night and when complete, we will shut down the database and reconfigure it.

If the operation works as anticipated, we can once again give you access to the account page and let you register your code for the open beta. We expect the whole maintenance to be finished late Monday morning.

Naturally, we will keep you informed of the development of this maintenance and we expect to give you an update mid-morning.

We thank you for your understanding at this very impatient time and we sincerely apologize for the situation.

-The GOA team
Letter from GOA's CEO
Dear all,

I rarely address players directly, but I wanted to write you as too few of you have been able to access the open beta today.

As my team explained in the previous post, although we have opened the servers and corrected numerous issues during the last 24 hours but we have not yet solved the issue of saturated Open Beta key activations that we’re currently experiencing. I am sincerely sorry for this, and I understand all the frustration the situation has spawned.

Today was a dark day. We expected a massive influx of players, but reality was even harsher.
I personally commit that we will communicate to you as clearly as possible on the resolution of these current issues. My goal is to give Warhammer Online the success it deserves. Be ensured that all GOA teams, with Mythic’s support, are working hard to bring you the best possible game experience.

Best regards,
Ghislaine Le Rhun
GOA CEO
Requiel
Personal note
For most of the day, official communication has been scarce. Being a Community Manager for WAR Europe, this clearly fall back to me personally. I don't want to be defensive and try to dodge blame or anything. I recognise that I've disappointed many of you today by not keeping you continuously updated on what's been going on. I accept this critique and offer no defense. I've done my best under what has been very demanding circumstances and I am constantly attempting to better myself and help you in whichever way I can.
The authentication of beta keys went down and as a result not a lot of new open beta testers could get into the game.

Yesterday was chaos on the open Beta.

People will say 'I told you so' and so on. GOA are now communicating much better than they ever did - you can be positive and see that as a change for the better or cynical and see it as a reflection on the size of the problem.

Shark
Na Fianna Dragun

Karak-Eight Peaks, Kiera ze Witch Hunter

Eve online - Kaminjosvig.

Luinmir
Emerald Rider

Post by Luinmir »

Funny tho i was in the game yesterday without any Codes ( About 21:00 a clock).. only Close beta password... Guess that was not real open beta then :)
Karak-Hirn:
Luin, Displine of Khaine lvl 24
Epof, Squig Herder lvl 19
Blueraven, Marauder lvl 20

8 Peaks:
Blueraven, Archmage 6 NFD
Luin, Bright Wizard lvl 10

Sharkith

Post by Sharkith »

Luinmir wrote:Funny tho i was in the game yesterday without any Codes ( About 21:00 a clock).. only Close beta password... Guess that was not real open beta then :)
It was. Closed beta players would not have any issues if they had a fully up to date version of the beta client and GOA have prioritised closed beta testers (good on them I say!). However, the registration process for the new open beta players completely fell over. Not something that could be anticapted - and terriobly destructive for them as far as I can see.
Na Fianna Dragun

Tareregion
Emerald Rider

Post by Tareregion »

must..resist..mocking..goa..

Been following a few other forums aswell, and sounds like goa is having a great day at the office

Hoonius

Not gonna say, but i'm sooooo tempted....

Post by Hoonius »

who would have thought it? I mean, they were so far ahead by putting their beta registration up a whole 18 hours before it offically started, only the most cynical of people would have foreseen any problems with a largely untested website from a bunch of staunch flash-heads getting hit by 200,000 pre-order customers wanting the Open Beta they've been promised

oh la la, nes pas, le website is, uh, ow do you say, not working non?
Sacré bleu, le trafique is plus plus grande and le 486 is trés 'ot

in all honesty, this is the simplest thing for them to do, when compared to running an MMO, supporting players 24/7, translating patches to French/German/Spanish/Italian/Russian w/e

Hope you guys are satisfied thus far, GOA are really pulling out the stops on this one :¬þ

Gahn

Post by Gahn »

Sharkith wrote:It was. Closed beta players would not have any issues if they had a fully up to date version of the beta client and GOA have prioritised closed beta testers (good on them I say!). However, the registration process for the new open beta players completely fell over. Not something that could be anticapted - and terriobly destructive for them as far as I can see.
Really Shark? I wonder why there were people bashing em from 2 months saying that they should have tested the ****ing system before going Live with Ob drunk:
They ****ing never learn eek:
Gahn LoneWolf Celt Seraph Tiarna Prydwen
Na Fianna Dragun
Gahn Lonewolf Guardian [TDA] on Gunnar's Hold

Sharkith

Post by Sharkith »

The reports I am getting is that performance in game is very very good. So no issues in there as yet. I should be up and running shortly.

As for the website falling over - to be honest I am not a web expert so I really don't know what to say.
Na Fianna Dragun

Khylrion
Emerald Rider

Post by Khylrion »

I have been in the game yesterday and it was working perfectly to be honest.

If they would manage to get their authentication servers online ...

Have they made mistakes? Quite sure they have done a few.

But to put things in perspective, they always stated they wanted to stress test their servers during the beta, sadly enough it totally went haywire.
Should they have anticipated a bit more? Hell yes, and have a better BCP and DRP, but they are coping with the situation the best they can at the moment.

Was I frustrated on Sunday? Oh yeah ... but it is a choice to remain angry...

As long as they get everything up and running fro all the users before tomorrow I am okay with it to be honest.

Let’s be honest here. It’s nice to bash GOA since 1) they are GOA and 2) they are French ;).
US servers did not go smooth either, but I don't see that being posted here heh ;)

Anyhow, I like the game and although it has its minor flaws its feels much better finished then any other game I have played pre-launch thus far. RvR feeling was great again ... even at lvl 6 :D

The way things are looking I might be crazy enough to buy US as well even if it is just to play with some of you folks again.

Mains will be on EU though
Playing The Secret World:
Duncan "Khylrion" Mc Khylrion Dragon Blade Tank

will be playing Guildwars 2

Retired characters:
Khylrion Redhaired shield-bashing Firb & Major Nutcase
Psyche a'Dellic Magic Mushroom dealing Mentababe
Untold Legends Tatooed Celtic Bard
Chestnuttie Chiliflavour small, lean & mean, stalking Queen.
former GM of Keepers of the Sacred Nut

Alexandrinus
Emerald Rider

Post by Alexandrinus »

biggest problem was people expected too much from Open Beta, thats a marketing problem, and maybe they should announce that the real start will also have some problems, tbh and thats in every game even if EvE makes a regular patch there are delays, and they have a regular downtime 1 hour each day.

Arkaon / Karak-Norn
and plenty of other chars between 10 and 30

Hoonius

Post by Hoonius »

i think the main difference between to the two providers is the impresssion that they both gave out

Mythic had the foresight to warn that the ride would be bumpy but reminded us that it was beta and this was to be expected. We were able to register keys well ahead of time, giving them time to iron any problems, which may or may not have surfaced due to the staggered nature of signups which have ocurred. The beta has gone very smoothly from closed, to preview weekend, right through to open despite the warnings to the contrary. People were happy with what they got because it wasn't elevated to the "perfect launch" status.

GOA had the misfortune of Requiel as their public face. Props to him for standing his ground but the guy could really use some people skills. Saying that everything would be perfect, run without a hitch, because they'd learnt their lesson with DAoC and it wouldn't happen again. If he managed the expectation a bit better then he wouldn't have his CEO on a public forum openely apologising for a shambolic start to what was meant to be a "perfect launch".

The guy is a blatant liar by openly denying there were never any problems with DAoC. People have quizzed him on WHA and he openly denied having a corrupt database. It's 5 years after the event so on one hand, maybe it should dropped, but on the other creating such propaganda messages should also be frowned upon. Trying to silence the minority of us who now have naked chars on Prydwen really isn't the best srtance to take

Yesterday he said anyone commenting on the fact that EU beat wasn't yet open was "sociopathic" and "had something wrong with them". Fair play, he and his company have been bashed about and there are some right weirdos on WHA threatening to stalk GOA workers and that's outrageous but he really should choose his words a bit more carefully

Anyway, wtf do i care in all honesty. I've been playing US games for years and the services is excellent :¬)

Good luck in Europe, cracking start to the proceedings

Return to “Warhammer Online”