nah i actually love him to bits *sigh* O.o
Fallen Spirits GM
Obscurum GM
E&E
satyn1:

Gitt

Post by Gitt »

*bell rings*
Quinlan wrote:But then again reading your capacities in your post you shows alot.
..yes quite.. <ponders>

Quinlan: I hate to keep doing this to you but yet again you seem to have completely misunderstood what has been said. So allow me to put it in very simple terms for you.

I did not raise issue with the word “cry”, I will accept that along with bleat, whine, whinge, grumble, and a myriad of other words that are equally applicable.

I raised issue with your inference that I was doing so about the use of the forum for the purpose of flaming. So I will invite you, once again, to read my original post with the hope that perhaps this time you may spot that this is not actually the case.

I will however accept your accusation of cluelessness, I cannot deny that the more I read your posts the more I find myself totally bamboozled as to how mankind ever managed to develop an opposable thumb. ]Sharkith:[/B] I am very pleased to see that at least someone is able to enter a discussion from critical but objective point of view without the need to immediately descend into petty (and personal) insults.

Firstly, let me clarify once again that I did NOT mention flame threads anywhere in my post.. this just seems to be a related issue that other people have expressed concern over but I seem to be the one taking the fire for… oh well, never mind, in most cases it’s rather like watching a near-sighted ranger try to acquire a target without getting bolted :P

You are right, after a fashion I did wave my own pitchfork, and in hindsight my use of the word community to sum up my feelings about post quality was perhaps misplaced. However, my post was meant to be a generalisation that did not attack or otherwise target specific individuals and so I felt shouldn’t cite specific posts.

Still wishing to follow this non-naming philosophy (except of course in direct response to posts in this thread), I suggest you look at the number of locked, moved and split threads to see what I am referring to.

It is, of course, arguable that there are no more or less of these than before, but the question is still valid; should there be any at all? With a little thought and consideration the number could be dramatically reduced.

If you wish for further evidence of the kind of posts I refer to, look again at the replies here.. how many posts with nothing to say? (including the very first one ofc :D ) how many posts making direct personal attacks or using unnecessary and offensive language with the sole intent of provocation? How many posts failing to even follow the topic in the first place or totally misconstruing what has been said?

Now compare those to the number of reasoned and objective posts on both sides by people such as yourself and look at some of the other threads and I think you will find that often a number of the replies are unnecessary, uninformative, off-topic, or just misplaced… in other words Pointless Drivel.

Satyn: you earned “half a post” as at that point you had successfully made the most completely misplaced, inaccurate and half baked comments and then added an insult cherry on top. ;)

At least the quality of your arguments and opinions and ability to express yourself in an eloquent and civil manner has remained consistent. :D

I think by now it really should be apparent that I still have no axe to grind against you, and no wish whatsoever to turn this into a personal argument, but as always I will continue to respond vehemently to your abuse, insults and accusations.

Consider it aversion therapy :D

Banana: You really sure you want me to stick around? I guess it would give Gandelf a break :p

Anyway, keep it coming... I’m thick skinned enough to front the abuse if needed...or is that just thick…? <wanders off scratching head>

<edit> There's a certain degree of irony in the indignant objections to an opinion which labels itself as Pointless Drivel....

Lieva
Emerald Rider

Post by Lieva »

Gitt wrote:Banana: You really sure you want me to stick around? I guess it would give Gandelf a break :p

of cause i do

i have the hope everyone who remains on these forums will once again pick up their old daoc case and return to hibernia :)
When you leave the forum its like your shutting that part closed :( and we never get you back :(
and we need hope :D

+ you make some good posts ^^
Lievaordiea x Eldritch
Peonchants x Enchanter
Hibernia

Sharkith

Post by Sharkith »

Gitt wrote:Sharkith: I am very pleased to see that at least someone is able to enter a discussion from critical but objective point of view without the need to immediately descend into petty (and personal) insults.

Firstly, let me clarify once again that I did NOT mention flame threads anywhere in my post.. this just seems to be a related issue that other people have expressed concern over but I seem to be the one taking the fire for… oh well, never mind, in most cases it’s rather like watching a near-sighted ranger try to acquire a target without getting bolted :P

You are right, after a fashion I did wave my own pitchfork, and in hindsight my use of the word community to sum up my feelings about post quality was perhaps misplaced. However, my post was meant to be a generalisation that did not attack or otherwise target specific individuals and so I felt shouldn’t cite specific posts.

Still wishing to follow this non-naming philosophy (except of course in direct response to posts in this thread), I suggest you look at the number of locked, moved and split threads to see what I am referring to.

It is, of course, arguable that there are no more or less of these than before, but the question is still valid]

I appreciate your response and I am glad you saw the irony in my post because when I re-read it I realised it could have been read another way. So thanks for choosing to see it how I meant it to be read. I enjoyed the coffee ;) and have exchanged it for an empty bottle of wine (who the hell drunk that!).

I will respect your non-naming method (lets leave philosophy out for now) even if I have my ram ready to salvage at hand ;). Now that you have cited evidence we can move the discussion forward.

I put it to you that your citation of the frequency of moved and moderated posts whilst might be considered some evidence it reflects a very negative view of this relatively healthy animal some label a community. It might be that your becoming 'old', Gitt? (I had to do that! ;p)

I put it to you that the central reason why we have a number of moved and split threads is a sign of healthy moderation. The reason why we never had it before is because well we were never moderated before. Do you remember the shock when we discovered that we had freeloaded on that great geezer for like four years!! (not me I am only here a year this month ! Yay!)There was virtually no moderation before and so the fact we have some now is not an indication of the moral deterioration of prydwen. Neither is this an indicator of the degree of pointless drivel nor the lack of decent discussion.

We have a new environment which is now controlled and sensitive. My personal opinon is that the moderators do a good job (kisses Nana! two fingers to Xest and his shagging butterflies!).

The evidence you cite is actually no ground for the feeling you have which seem to reflect a kind of very pessimistic view of this bunch of people. Frankly it surprises me that you use this as your evidence.

As for the pointless answers maybe it is simply because they think the posting of the thread was not making any sense and in fact it reflects back on your view of the community. In posting this thread all you appear to have done is accidently construct a view of yourself. There is a batch of questions left to address:
Gitt wrote:It is, of course, arguable that there are no more or less of these than before, but the question is still valid]

Well actually yes Xest put it very well to you - it is the beauty of democracy. Learn to love it because it might well become as hard to get as an artifact in ToA. When you are intolerant of allowing voices to say what they wish, it says more about you than the 'voices'. <Sharkith hears a Heineken tin beckon from the fridge>
Gitt wrote:With a little thought and consideration the number could be dramatically reduced.
Perhaps, but why would we want everyone to be alike? Why try to control how people wish to express themselves. What is your alternative? Would it make for a better community - if so be my guest and explain why?
Gitt wrote:If you wish for further evidence of the kind of posts I refer to, look again at the replies here.. how many posts with nothing to say?

They all have something to say and it has become such a part of my coffee break that it would not be the same without these 'voices'.
Gitt wrote:(including the very first one ofc )
Aye ]how many posts making direct personal attacks or using unnecessary and offensive language with the sole intent of provocation? How many posts failing to even follow the topic in the first place or totally misconstruing what has been said?
I dunno why are you so irrated by this? Why the desire to censor? You and anyone else who posts a thread here comes to a public place and places a topic in the public domain. You cannot claim ownership of the topic nor the responses. Thats democratic.

So I am still mystified (and a little drunk) Gitt.

(I hate the fucking bunny though)

p.s. of course stick around your voice is as important as anyone elses - even if you haven't really made any sense to me this time. Oh and cheer up for God's sake.

Quinlan

Post by Quinlan »

Gitt wrote:Pointless drivel
Read and learn about a magic thing called sarcasm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4566319.stm

I am still laughing out loud here as to how serious you take these forums. Is your life really that bad?
finland:
holland:

Satyn
Emerald Rider

Post by Satyn »

Quinlan wrote:Read and learn about a magic thing called sarcasm

I am still laughing out loud here as to how serious you take these forums. Is your life really that bad?

volgens mij wel ja :p en niet opnieuw die link !!! :p /hug
Fallen Spirits GM
Obscurum GM
E&E
satyn1:

Gitt

Post by Gitt »

*Bell Rings*
Quinlan wrote:Read and learn about a magic thing called sarcasm

Glad to see you're so easily amused.. simple things and all that..

Thank you kindly for the link, it was very interesting. At last you have managed to contribute a well constructed and educational post to this thread.. shame it's not your own work really..

Sharkith: wow, plenty of food for thought there, I'll respond in full when I have a little more time and a lot more alcohol (need to get brain streamlined by killing a few redundant braincells)

Back later folks.. keep the abuse comming :D

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

No it's my work I was the founder of that link.
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

Return to “Off Topic”