Pussy (linguistic)

Post pics of your gorgeous selfs and any RL meet. Links from other photo sites prefered however if using attatchments keep it to a minimum!

Moderator: Satyn

Is pussy as a word normal or offensive?

Other
43%
Other
19%
Other
38%

Total votes: 21

Sharkith

Post by Sharkith »

Banana wrote:All i did was edit it out from the forum which anyone (even nonmembers) can view.
He didnt get a warning not was the post deleted. So everyone can view it in its original state.

The thing is .. people seem to want to now use words which have no place in the general forum.
And ive said time and time again - the general forum (which is open to everyone on the planet) has no place for that sort of thing.

I know there are far far worse words out there but fact is..
on the general forum those words shouldnt be used.

i mean for flips sake ... this is sposed to be a GAMING forum and were having discussions regarding a word which is normally used in regards to pr0n and sex...
hey stay cool I am not attacking anyone like I said I can understand people being offended by language and by all means it is good that they can be free to express those views. In fact it is a healthy thing to have differences of opinion. What I kind of object to is the way the whole thing then goes so that people have to avoid expressing themselves in a way that they are comfortable with incase some others will take offence. This path is the path to resentment. Thats my point.

It is not like people swear on a post by post basis. When was a word last used on the forums that could have been deemed offensive?

Now let me ask a more telling question when was a word last used on the forums that could be deemed offensive where someone took offense? How often is offence taken and how often do those that take offense compromise and let it ride?

Can you see my point now?

Its actually healthier for people to work it out between them (like they tried to do in this case) rather than have advanced rules banning the use of words. That way they have to relate to each other and reach an understanding - even if they remain in disagreement. I hope that makes sense Nana. ;)
Na Fianna Dragun

Karak-Eight Peaks, Kiera ze Witch Hunter

Eve online - Kaminjosvig.

Satyn
Emerald Rider

Post by Satyn »

The ppl offended by words as pussy expect the mods to listen to them. Hence why i was so crap at it cos I did. Nana made a choice to listen to them, Xest decided not to.
Fallen Spirits GM
Obscurum GM
E&E
satyn1:

Sharkith

Post by Sharkith »

Satyn wrote:The ppl offended by words as pussy expect the mods to listen to them. Hence why i was so crap at it cos I did. Nana made a choice to listen to them, Xest decided not to.
now how often does it happen that offense is taken and mods are forced to change things?
Na Fianna Dragun

Takitothemacs
Emerald Rider

Post by Takitothemacs »

if someone was to post "Tiocfaidh ár lá " how many would take offence?

I guarantee that anyone who faced a certain paramilitary organisation would have strong feelings on the matter... the fact is that both have valid arguements. That phrase as been attributed to a damn sight more death and detruction than the words pussy or cunt.
Hib Pryd/Excal Retired
Littlefirby Lv51 ML9 CL10 Lurishade Thunderer

Mid Avalon - Retired
Cartilage - Lv 50 Bonedancer
Tigerstripe - LV50 Mauler
Xanidiu - Shammy BB

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

Tuthmes wrote:So you supress the minority? Less playing nazi Xest.
Yes, I want to kill all jews and think everyone should have blond hair and blue eyes just because I don't think a vocal minority should get their own way 100% of the time. Well done you are obviously highly intelligent and win the entire debate with that comment alone.
Tuthmes wrote:You fail to recognize's it is not an majority/minority issue
Oh good, I guess I'm not a nazi after all then!
Tuthmes wrote:It's about people beeing insulted/not like the comment and asking if you could please leave it next time.
Oh darn, I wish I'd advocated self censorship and respect for each other's opinion instead of forced censorship. Oh wait nevermind, I did.
Tuthmes wrote:To continue the discussion the way you did, is like a little child laughing nananana you cant stop me.
Is that a bit like someone posting just after Banana's moderation saying something equivalent to, in a language you can understand "nananana you got moderated for making a comment I take offence to but hardly anyone else does"?
Tuthmes wrote:Next time try to work it out, or better yet, just leave the subject.
Could say the same for Aran's comment rubbing it in for Crom really. Just a shame you're too biased in this situation to realise that Crom has been pissed off here too, and not realise it isn't just Aran and Kallima who have somehow been wronged here.
Tuthmes wrote:It doesnt harm you "not" to say pussy or any adult matter.
Doesn't harm people to ignore someone saying pussy or other adult matter either tbh. At least no more so than the harm of having to worry about what you type and hence diverge from your standard set of language.
Tuthmes wrote:You're trying to discuss the freedom of speech (fail to see why)
Because I'm not actually a nazi?
Tuthmes wrote:what you should discuss is beeing polite to eachother.
Come back to the conversation when a) You've got over your bias and b) You've actually read any of my posts. I've been advocating respect for differing opinions and possible self censorship from the start of this debate.
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

Tuthmes
Emerald Rider

Post by Tuthmes »

Takitothemacs wrote:... and calling someone a Nazi isnt exactly going to endear you into anyones good graces... just as we are pointing stuff out.
How you mean, back in the days nazi's did supress the minority, just using it as a metafor (prolly not english)? /taunt

P.s Yelling pussy all over the forums does get you into anyones good grace?
----------------------------
Tuthmes - lvl50 - rr7 - Ranja
Nefertete - lvl50 - rr9 - Bardesse
Neterbaiu - lvl50 - rr8 - Eldrich
Koenoe - lvl50 - rr8 - Dr00d
Achnaton - lvl50 - rr4 - Animist
Ausernefert - lvl50 - rr5 - Mentalist
Horemheb - lvl50 - rr3 Chimp
Soulsistah - lvl50 - rr6 Vampz0r
Nebcheperure - lvl50 - rr6 Valewalker
Mayet - lvl50 - rr7 Hewo

Sharkith

Post by Sharkith »

Takitothemacs wrote:if someone was to post "Tiocfaidh ár lá " how many would take offence?

I guarantee that anyone who faced a certain paramilitary organisation would have strong feelings on the matter... the fact is that both have valid arguements. That phrase as been attributed to a damn sight more death and detruction than the words pussy or cunt.
thats a good point - normally it would offend me. However I would most likely refuse to make a point of telling the person. I just don't think it is worth it in this case. I have for example objected to the use of the word 'retard' here and on FH for what I feel are important reasons. I don't however go objecting to the use of words at every turn and certainly "Tiocfaidh ár lá" is thankfully no longer as offensive to me as it once was. :)

It is about give and take and trying to respect each other. Once we block talking and reaching those compromises then relationships break down.
Na Fianna Dragun

Takitothemacs
Emerald Rider

Post by Takitothemacs »

Tuthmes wrote:How you mean, back in the days nazi's did supress the minority, just using it as a metafor (prolly not english)? /taunt

P.s Yelling pussy all over the forums does get you into anyones good grace?
Calling Xest a Nazi in the way you did infers that he is a part and practitioner in the movement which is accountable for the deaths of millions of innocents in a war about religion. Use of some other term would indicate your frustration better than that.. call him a dictator or a meglomaniac I'm sure he will take that in his stride... but suggesting his association with that form of evil goes way beyond someone making a tongue in cheek remark about the taste of a womans genetalia.
Hib Pryd/Excal Retired

Mid Avalon - Retired
Xanidiu - Shammy BB

Lieva
Emerald Rider

Post by Lieva »

ok shall i say whatb this forum has done to compromise so far?

1) people wished to talk about sex in anyway they felt
this introduced the 18+ forum.

2) People wished to swear at any time they wanted to.
This introduced the censro system. This was later changed to the censor usergroup so people who truely dont wish to see swearing can blot it out but the majority does.

3) People wished to discuss anal sex on the shoutbox which obviously others didnt wish to talk about.
This made the shout box only open should you wish to view it.

Now as far as i am concerned every issue so far has been delt with with compromise on both sides. (more so on the peeps who dislike that sort of stuff as so far they cant view a forum which most can as they dislike the words used, they can no longer use the shout box and half their words are covered in stars)

With saying stuff like that on the general forum (which btw, barring their own guild forums the peeps only could say stuff as trading etc isnt moderated as strongly and personally people could be making up pr0n stories for as far as i look :p) what compromise can be made?

As far as i am concerned the compromise has already been made by the 18+ forum.
I dont see if there is an 18+ forum that people should feel it nescessary to express themselves in a way that will upset others.

You do realise to say Die IRL will result in a ban? personally i consider saying that alot nicer than saying Pussy tastes nice or something.
Lievaordiea x Eldritch
Peonchants x Enchanter
Hibernia

Takitothemacs
Emerald Rider

Post by Takitothemacs »

Sharkith wrote:thats a good point - normally it would offend me. However I would most likely refuse to make a point of telling the person. I just don't think it is worth it in this case. I have for example objected to the use of the word 'retard' here and on FH for what I feel are important reasons. I don't however go objecting to the use of words at every turn and certainly "Tiocfaidh ár lá" is thankfully no longer as offensive to me as it once was. :)

It is about give and take and trying to respect each other. Once we block talking and reaching those compromises then relationships break down.
fortunately we know the origin of and meaning of that phrase, it holds no offence to me... but I respect others views and they are welcome to them so long as they respect mine. Right or wrong there are things that at times we have to let wash over us from time to time.
Hib Pryd/Excal Retired

Mid Avalon - Retired
Xanidiu - Shammy BB

Return to “Satyns RL Photo Forum and 18+ threads”